Being Cheap is Easy: Garden update! Planning on canning

Garden update! Planning on canning

August 01, 2012



The drought was rough on our garden, but luckily it is still doing well!  Actually the squash and cucumbers are going crazy.  By next week we are going to be up to our ears in squash, cucumbers and jalapenos.  The tomatoes, green beans and bell peppers are moving a lot slower, but hopefully this month we will get some veggies!

Earlier, I tried to cage our tomatoes but they are just growing up and out of them.  Next year I will have to try a different technique.  We will have to build at least one more garden box, too.  It's a great learning experience! 

Our herbs are a sad sight.  I trimmed them and they pretty much look dead now.  So sad!  We only have mint left.

My main goal right now is to learn how to can.  My mom always canned tomatoes and peaches when I was growing up and I just remember it be a long process.  Hopefully she can teach me some short cuts! I am hoping to do salsa, pickles and pasta sauce.  The rest of the veggies I am going to blanch and freeze.  I am so happy we have a big freezer in the basement!  Next winter we will be set for quite some time!

I have a Ball canning book which has some great tips and recipes.  I am looking at jars right now, hopefully I can find some on Freecycle!

Does anyone can?  I would love some tips, or even a helper...I'll provide some wine!  

New to the blog?  Here's the story of the garden this year:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS