Being Cheap is Easy: Mmmm Mondays! Go-to granola

Mmmm Mondays! Go-to granola

August 06, 2012



We love oatmeal in this family.  Nothing better is a warm bowl of maple brown sugar oatmeal for breakfast...in the winter.  During the summer it's too hot for it!  This summer we have been hooked on granola.  We make parfaits, put it on our frozen yogurt or just add it to our fruit salads. 

Only bad thing?  We were buying it.  I don't know why I didn't think to make it before now, but I just assumed buying it would be cheaper. 

I saw this great recipe and I knew I could add our favorite ingredients to make it just like the stuff we buy.  Plus this is a great kid-friendly cooking recipe.  Olivia is my kitchen helper and she loved to measure out everything for me.

Here's what you need for our Nutty Coconut Cranberry granola:
  • 4.5 cups of old-fashioned oats, uncooked
  • 1/3 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/3 cup shredded coconut
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup apple juice
  • 1 tablespoon canola (or vegetable) oil
  • 1/2 cup craisins
Once you have all of these ingredients on hand, it will be easy to whip up a batch.  Also, you can add and subtract whatever you like!  I love the versatility of granola.

  1. Preheat the oven to 350.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Combine oats, nuts, coconut, cinnamon and salt in a big bowl.
  3. In a smaller bowl, whisk: syrup, juice and canola.  Add to big bowl and mix well.
  4. Pour onto cookie sheet and spread evenly.
  5. Cook for 20-25 minutes until toasted.  Add craisins and store in an air-tight container.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS