Being Cheap is Easy: Mmmm Monday: Cranberry Hootycreeks

Mmmm Monday: Cranberry Hootycreeks

December 10, 2012



I love this time of the year because I dust off my apron and experiment with baking.  It's especially fun this year now that I can use one of our wedding gifts, our Kitchen Aid (thanks Mom and Dad!).  It really does save a lot of time and energy when you have a nice mixer.   Our old hand mixer used to smoke on batch two or three of cookies...probably should throw that away.

This year I was a part of a Cookie Swap with other bloggers. After baking a batch of cookies, you ship a dozen off to 3 different people. It's like a secret Santa with cookies...the best kind! Also, donations are made to Cookies for Kids' Cancer and Oxo will match $100,000! What a tasty way to help those in need this holiday season!

A few years ago, I made cookie jars for gifts and this was by far our favorite variety.  It's nice to step away from plain old (but delicious!) sugar cookies.  I was going to make something with peppermint, but this recipe just kept popping into my head. 

I'm sure not too many people have tried a hootycreek, so I thought I would share!  The only hootie I've heard of is of the blowfish variety...don't lie, you loved them too.

Cranberry Hootycreeks
(Adapted from this jar cookie recipe)

Ingredients
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla (I always add extra for cookies)
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup pecans
  • 1 cup Craisins
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (or simply spray with Pam).
  2. Combine flour, soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
  3. Cream butter and sugars with a mixer.  Add eggs and vanilla.
  4. Mix in dry ingredients, slowly.  Next add oatmeal and pecans.  Finish up with Craisins and chips.
  5. Drop onto cookie sheets and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until done.  (Mine tend to take 11-12 in our new oven).
ENJOY!
 
Hopefully the lucky recipients of these cookies have received their cookie box.  They are:
 
 


4 comments:

Mrs. Weber said...

I have no clue what a Hootycreek is but these sound AMAZING! Totally want to try :)

Unknown said...

Haha, I know. I love the name! Maybe I should look up the origin. Wouldn't be surprised if it was from the south!

Rachel @ The Pescetarian and the Pig said...

I received these cookies on my doorstep today! Can I just say AAAMMMAAAZZZIIIIINNNNNGGGGG?! I love cranberries and white chocolate so much, it's like you read my mind! Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

YAY! I'm glad you liked them! I hope they were still fresh...I cannot believe it took that long to get to you!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS