Being Cheap is Easy: How I roll: grocery shopping

How I roll: grocery shopping

December 05, 2012

I get a lot of questions about my grocery shopping habits.  With the little ones, I can't just run out to the store whenever I want.  Well, I can...but it's not fun.  It turns into a 3 hour event.

I have tried a few different ways of shopping.

When the twins were babies, I would do my shopping weekly.  That was nice, but I found I spent more money because I wasn't really planning too well.  At that time, I was working and we went out to eat a lot more.

Once we moved to Michigan two years ago, our shopping habbits changed once again.  Here, there are no double coupons and food is much more expensive.  I had to really reevaluate how to shop and where to find deals.  Aldi has been such a lifesaver!

After we moved into our house a year ago, we joined Costco and I have changed how I shop yet again.  I try to do one large trip a month and supplement small weekly trips for milk, fruit, and any great deals I find.  Since the girls are eating so much more food now, we really need to shop in bulk.

The day we go shopping, I have a list, coupons and everything I might need all ready to go.  This includes snacks if the girls are with me and I make sure all of the Mperks I might need are uploaded to my account.  

On my list, I make sure every item with a coupon is marked.  I used to organize my coupons in an accordion file, but I have switched to the binder method.   I'm adding a post about that later this week!

We usually make three stops: Costco, Aldi and Meijer.  I like that order because I usually have the least amount of items to buy at Meijer.  Costco covers the big bulk items, Aldi covers the stock-up pantry items, chicken and produce and whatever we have left is at Meijer.  Yes, this takes about 3 hours but I am basically done for the month!  

If the kids come, Ricky is great at keeping them moving.  They love to get their free cookie at Meijer and a hot dog at Costco.  Hey, whatever keeps them happy!

This method has been such a lifesaver!  I have found that I can plan meals easier and having a stocked pantry is such a time saver.  I will admit, by the end of some months, I have run out of a few items.  But that is what All Recipes is for!  I use the simple ingredient search and I can find new meals to make in minutes. 

How do you shop?  Did it change drastically after having kids?
 
Make sure you check out my 2 giveaways going on right now...and stop back tomorrow for another exciting one!


2 comments:

Mrs. Weber said...

I always wonder how you do it with 3 girls, I find it extremely hard with just 2 - people are always looking at me like I'm crazy pushing two carts!

And I love the AllRecipes ingredient finder too! It saves me at least once a week!

Unknown said...

For our big trips, I always take Ricky with me. It's supposed to be family time, but it ends up being Ricky keeping the girls entertained while I frantically try to keep my list in check and coupons organized. I really should start going alone...it would take half the time! At Meijer if we are lucky enough to get a kids cart we just need one, but otherwise it's 2, even at Costco. So annoying!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS