Being Cheap is Easy: Pinterest recipe review: freezer pickles

Pinterest recipe review: freezer pickles

August 25, 2012

Our garden is kind of going downhill in the past few weeks.  The only thing that seems to be alive and kickin are the cucumbers.  We have them coming out of our ears!  I don't have all of the canning supplies I need yet, but I had to do something with these cucumbers! 

Hello, Pinterest! 

I saw tons of recipes for freezer pickles, but I really was hesitant.  I finally went through about 5 different recipes and picked one that had a decent amount of reviews.   It happened to be this one.


Ingredients:
  • For brine:
    • 1 cup vinegar
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1/4 cup water
  • Cucumbers, sliced how you like
  • Garlic cloves
  • Fresh dill
  • Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
  1.  Mix brine ingredients together in a pan, just enough to dissolve sugar.
  2. Place sliced cucumbers in whatever containers you are using.
  3. Pour brine over cucumbers, add 1 teaspoon of dill and 1-2 cloves of garlic and a dash of pepper flakes.
  4. Cover and place in freezer for at least a week.  When you're ready to eat, just place them in the fridge.



 Pros:
  • Super quick and easy!  The only time consuming part was the slicing of the cucumbers.  Total, I would say it took me 30 minutes start to finish.  
  • No canning process, just put in containers you already have.
  • They have a great flavor.
 Cons: 
  • The pickles aren't super crispy.  I think it could have been the way I sliced them.  
I can see myself making these again before the garden season is over.  The girls eat a whole container in one sitting!

Have you made pickles before?  What process do you use?  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS