Being Cheap is Easy: Best pizza crust EVER!

Best pizza crust EVER!

August 26, 2012



Sunday nights are one of the only nights that Ricky has off of work, so we always make a big dinner.  Ricky loves to cook, but it just turns out that I am the main chef in the family because of this schedule. 

Last Sunday I was catching up on my magazines and I saw a recipe for an olive oil pizza crust in Family Fun magazine.  I really wanted to try it, since we planned on making pizza, but I knew it was going be hard to convince Ricky.  He is half Italian and originally from Chicago.  When he makes pizza, he uses a family recipe that you don't mess with.  It's amazing, but I like to switch things up.

After much coaxing, we decided to try this out.  I will say, this is the BEST CRUST EVER!  Of course, Ricky is still up in the air about it ...but I would have to say his clean plate said it all. 

Yes, making your own crust takes some time.  But it will be worth it!  The next day, I made a double batch using the Kitchen Aid and now we have 4 crusts waiting for us in the freezer.  I would recommend doing the same!

Olive Oil Crust (aka BEST CRUST EVER!)
From: September 2012 Family Fun magazine

Ingredients: (Makes 2 large crusts or 4 mini)
  • 1 1/3 cups warm water
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for the bowl
  • 3 1/4 - 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Let's make some dough (prepare to get messy!)
  1. In a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer), stir together water, yeast and sugar.  Set aside until foamy and bubbling (5-6 minutes).  Stir in olive oil.
  2. Here's where it gets fun.  Choose which way you're going: mixer or muscle (aka hands).
    • In a MIXER: add 3 1/4 cups of flour and salt to the bowl.  Using the hook attachment, mix everything at medium speed.  Knead for 5 minutes
    • With your hands (use those muscles!):  Stir in 3 1/4 cups of flour and salt and mix with a wooden spoon, or hands.  Sprinkle a dry surface with flour and knead the dough until it is soft (about 10 minutes).  If it's really sticky , add more flour.
  3. Oil a large bowl and with floured hands, place the dough in the bowl and coat with the oil.  Cover with a clean towel and set to rise for about 1 hour.
  4. You can use the dough right away (duh!), cover and put it in the fridge overnight
    • If you want to freeze it, punch it down and wrap tightly in plastic
Are you ready to tackle your own dough?

Here's how ours turned out:
Mine had Italian sausage (real, not turkey), kale, pesto and peppers.  The kale added the best flavor, I would recommend it!!  Ricky was giving me a look because I put kale in everything lately, but he really liked it too.

Ricky tackled the deep dish.  We weren't too sure how it would end up, but he made it perfectly.  He added a whole 1/2 inch thick layer of sausage, pesto and I don't even want to know how much cheese.  Definitely not a diet pizza, but sometimes you have to make what you enjoy!

What are your favorite toppings for a pizza?





5 comments:

Gustaw Leon said...

Being a pizza lover I like the content in this blog. Olive Oil Crust recipe and its simple making way makes me impressed from all side and soon I will give it a try. Thanks

Amanda said...

I've been looking for a good pizza crust recipe, so I'll have to give this a try! I haven't had much success making my own in the past so I usually just buy the premade refrigerated dough. Sad, I know.

Unknown said...

Not gonna lie, premade is a lot easier! But this is worth a try...I love how easy it is to freeze. I just double up a batch and it makes 4 crusts! It's nice to take one out of the freezer in the morning and have it ready for pizza at dinner. PS- I just looked at your blog, you're from Lansing? Awesome! I grew up in Grand Ledge.

Unknown said...

I hope you gave it a try!

Top Seattle Divorce Lawyer Newcombe said...

Oh my goodness.. I am so hungry now looking at that pizza!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS