Being Cheap is Easy: Fill 'em up Banana Bread

Fill 'em up Banana Bread

August 30, 2012


This summer I have been experimenting with a bit of freezer cooking.  One thing we always like to have on hand for a quick snack is bread.  I saw this recipe for a banana bread on my fellow blogger friend's site (Mrs. Weber's Neighborhood).  I have been searching for a great recipe that isn't too mushy or dry and this one is perfect!  It freezes so well, we usually make 3 loaves at a time.

I have made it a few times and this time I changed it up.  I know, I know...why mess with something good?  Here's why:  I have little toddlers that can throw down some food.  Not quite where it all goes, but their appetite is the main reason it is absolutely necessary for us to shop at Costco.  I am lucky they like to eat healthy foods, at least!  My new trick is I have been adding flax and other forms of fiber to anything I can: smoothies, pancakes, etc.  It fills up their bellies!  Just be careful at first...haha.

So here it is, my crazy fill 'em up banana bread.  It has extra protein (Greek yogurt) and fiber from the flax and oatmeal, yet you can't tell at all!  This is a perfect way to use up markdown bananas in your freezer.

Thank you, Lauren, for the inspiration!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup of Egg beaters (or 2 eggs)
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1.5 cups flour 
  • 1/2 cup plain oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup ground flax 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup plain 0% Greek yogurt
  •  2-3 bananas
Mix it up!
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. With a mixer (or by hand in a bowl), combine the butter and sugar.
  3. Add egg beaters and vanilla.  Mix until combined completely.
  4. In a small bowl add flour, salt, soda, oatmeal and flax.  Mix it up with a spoon ans slowly add to big bowl.  Mix for a minute or so to combine.
  5.  Add yogurt and bananas.  
  6. Pour into a bread pan (or cupcake tin!) and bake for 50-60 minutes.  I always cook it a bit longer than expected to get the center cooked.  It won't burn, it adds a great crust to the bread.

Enjoy! 
 

1 comment:

Mrs. Weber said...

Just saw this! Such great additions - I will have to try it that way...We love all types of yummy breads in this house :) So great for a quick breakfast too!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS