Being Cheap is Easy: Mmmm Mondays: Garlic bread from markdowns

Mmmm Mondays: Garlic bread from markdowns

August 20, 2012

I love markdown groceries!  Ricky thinks it's my superpower: I can scope out a bright markdown sticker from a mile away.  If you look in my linen closet, most of the toiletries have Target clearance stickers on them.  It's the way to go!

I've shared some tips in the past about what to do with markdowns you might find:
Today I'll cover one of my favorite finds: markdown bread.  I love to make fresh breadcrumbs or croutons.  My favorite thing is homemade garlic bread!  Lately, there have been a lot of butter freebies at Meijer and I have a ton in the back of my fridge.  This is a great way to use it all up!

Yes, I know you can find relatively cheap garlic bread in the freezer section, but it doesn't really taste as great as homemade.  Plus, you have no clue what they put in that stuff!


Here's what you need:
  • Butter.  Any kind, although it needs to be room temp or spreadable
  • Seasonings: Italian herb, garlic salt/powder...whatever is on hand.  I like pesto too!
  • Fresh garlic, 2-3 cloves minced
  • Optional: Parmesan cheese
(Pretty self-explanatory) Instructions:
  1. Slice bread
  2. Combine seasonings, garlic and butter
  3. Spread on both sides of the bread
  4. Place bread (back as whole) on a baking sheet and freeze
  5. Once frozen for a day, break it into sizes your family will use and wrap in foil. 

Bake at 400 for 5-8 minutes!  Enjoy with some spaghetti!  

What's your favorite type of markdown to find?  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS