Being Cheap is Easy: Mmmm Mondays: crock-pot chicken cacciatore

Mmmm Mondays: crock-pot chicken cacciatore

August 13, 2012


I absolutely love my crock-pot.  Running around with the girls all day, it is so great to have a low-effort and amazing meal waiting for us.  This cacciatore recipe has been in my recipe binder for a while, it was from an old Women's Day.  Usually, this is for a nice cold winter day, but with this weather I wanted to bring it out again.

All you have to do is make some rice or mashed potatoes and a veggie and you're set for dinner!

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups marinara sauce (I use Prego)
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
  • 2 peppers thinly sliced (optional)
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup red or white wine (I prefer red)
  • 1/2 teaspoon: rosemary and kosher salt
  • 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
    • NOTE: I am not a huge fan of bone-in chicken, but I still recommend it.  I tried it with skinless and it turned into a mush.  I did like bone-in breasts though.
  •  8 oz mushrooms, sliced


 Mix it up!
  1. Turn on the slow cooker.  
    • HIGH- cooks in 2.5-3.5 hours, LOW- cooks in 5-7 hours
  2. Chop veggies, skin the chicken (a paring knife helps).
  3. Mix marinara sauce, onions, tomato paste, wine, rosemary and salt in the slow cooker.
  4. Add chicken and mushrooms.  Mix to cover all of the chicken.
  5. Put the lid on and you're good to go!  I find the sauce gets a bit thin, so I add some corn starch near the end to thicken it up.
What's your favorite crock-pot meal? 

8 comments:

Bridget said...

My mom used to make this, but I've never been brave enough to try. It always seemed too hard - but I think I can manage this one:) Thanks!

Unknown said...

I know, I was shocked how easy this recipe is! I remember it taking my mom forever to make when I was little!

Anonymous said...

I think the low and high cooking hours are backwards, Other than that it looks good,

Unknown said...

Thank you! I'll fix that! Mommy brain strikes again! Let me know if you try it!

Unknown said...

What happens if you leave the skin on?

Unknown said...

It will turn out fine! I just take off the skin to make it healthier. You can use any type of bone-in chicken.

Unknown said...

I love this recipe, but I have tweaked it a little to make it work on the stove-top. I brown the chicken first and saute the veg next. I add chicken stock too and simmer it on the stove for 45 mins. Awesome!

Unknown said...

Great idea!! I'm so glad you like it!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS