Being Cheap is Easy: Simple Summer Suppers: Crock Pot Carnitas

Simple Summer Suppers: Crock Pot Carnitas

July 01, 2014


I love to find cheap helpers at the grocery store and doctor them up with fresh ingredients.  I've had a ton of luck with the new Campbells Slow Cooker sauces.  Usually, I don't follow the directions and use up whatever markdown meat I have in the freezer.  I buy them for the flavors!

A little note about markdown food: it's SO worth it!  I scan the whole meat section for orange stickers and stock up if the price is right.  Some easy tips:
  • Always look at the quality of the meat: brown or grayish meat is a NO NO
  • Repackage and freeze, or use that night.  Don't let it sit any longer in the fridge.
  • Consider adding a marinade or seasoning before freezing.  Pork chops could be seasoned with jerk spices or a tasty Hawaiian marinade.   When you take them out of the freezer, they are infused with tons of flavor as they defrost. 
  • Larger cuts of meat like pork shoulders or pot roasts are GREAT markdowns.  I love pork roasts for pulled pork or carnitas!
For this recipe, I used the Campbells Slow Cooker sauce in Mexican Red Chile Taco.  Another reason these sauces are great is that they have SO much flavor.  If you don't have a ton of spices at home, you can use these without the addition of anything else!  We had a pork roast in the freezer and carnitas sounded perfect for dinner.

When it's hot and humid, the slow cooker is my BFF.  I can start dinner after breakfast and have it ready by dinner time with minimal effort.  Even with the air on, our house gets super warm with the oven on.  I try to avoid it as much as I can....although it's quite hard!


Here's what you need:
  • 1 pork roast (this is a Boston shoulder roast) around 3-3.5 pounds
  • 1 packet Campbell's Slow Cooker Sauces- Mexican Red Chile
  • 1 (4 oz) can of diced green chiles
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • Toppings: lime wedges, cilantro, green onions, lettuce, cheese
  • Corn or flour torillas
  • Slow Cooker
  1. Preheat the slow cooker to LOW heat.  
  2. Season the roast with salt + pepper.
  3. Add onion, chiles and roast to the cooker.  Top with sauce packet and cover.  Try to avoid peeking! 
  4. Cook on LOW for 6-7 hours, or until falling apart.  
    • Ours did have quite a bit of extra juices, but keep them for after shredding.  You don't want dry carnitas!
    • You can try HIGH heat, but I'm not sure you will get the same juicy flavor. Let me know if you try it!
  5.  After cooking, remove meat from cooker and pull the meat with two forks.  It should fall right apart! Return to cooking juices and serve with tongs.  They will be juicy!
  6. Toast the tortillas over open flame or in a pan before serving.
For sides, we like green quinoa or rice.  Simply make rice/quinoa like you normally do.  On the side, blend a handful of each: cilantro, green onions and spinach/kale with a splash of chicken stock and zest of a lime (save the actual lime for later).  Add to hot rice or quinoa and mix, adding a dash of salt and squeeze of lime.  It adds a great POW of flavor! Mexican rice is tasty too!

Also, you always can use some chips with salsa and guac.


 Have you tried the Slow Cooker Sauces?  What's your favorite?

Like this recipe? Make sure to check out my Facebook page for more recipe updates!

8 comments:

Dad of Divas said...

This looks great and so easy to make! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

That looks super yummy and easy to make. Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure if my last comment went through? I love your tips here. I never knew you could add marinade to meat before freezing. I would love to try this sometime. Your recipe looks delicious too!

Unknown said...

yum yum... I love using my crock pot, even in the summer time. TFS this great recipe.

Gwendolyn M. said...

I love using my Crockpot during the summer and I think I could even get my family to eat this for dinner.

Anonymous said...

Ur recipe love it something different my husband from Mexico he loved it

Unknown said...

That is the biggest compliment, thank you SO much! I'm glad you liked the carnitas!

nicotineresources said...

Ok that sounds so super easy, and full of flavor! Yum!!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS