Being Cheap is Easy: Grocery Prices Rising: How to Save Your Budget!

Grocery Prices Rising: How to Save Your Budget!

July 15, 2014


Guys, I'm kinda freaking out here.  The price of food is getting ridiculous.  Or maybe it's the lack of sales and good coupons.   I swear there is an extreme couponing shadow at my local Meijer store that clears the shelf minutes before I get there.  Save some for everyone else, shadow!

I know that everyone around the country is feeling their grocery budget stretch a bit.  There have been various reasons: rise in gas prices, bad growing seasons, etc etc.  No matter what it may be, it's time to take action!

Clip more Coupons
This is kind of obvious, but it's worth your time to spend ~20 minutes a week searching for coupons online.  This can be by clipping coupons on websites, reading deal blogs in your area, using digital coupons...whatever you chose.  I also recommend buying Sunday papers!  Depending on the week, we will get 2-5 papers.  It's worth the investment!  With extra coupons, you can stock up on a deal. At Discounted Newspapers, you can get up to 80% off! I love getting the Sunday and Thursday papers delivered--I never miss out on any deals!

Shop early on Fridays.
I'm not a huge fan of shopping on weekends, because it's CRAZY, but early Fridays seem to work well for us.  Why? Usually any weekend sales start on Friday, so you'll get bonus savings.  Plus, the shelves will be stocked up for the weekend shoppers.  I tend to find the most selection and markdown meats, also.  Since you have the whole week to research any deals, you can make sure you have yourself organized to hit up whatever you want to buy.  It's easier to stick to a list if you have your coupons all together!

Farmer's Market Tips
As much as I love to buy local, sometimes farmer's markets can be a strain on the budget.  I have a few tips to help stretch your buck:
  • Shop early or at the very end of the day.  
    • In the morning, it will be less crowded and the selection will be great.  Since it's less crowded, farmers will be more available to talk to or bargain with. 
    • By the end of the market day, farmers will start to load up their trucks.  Ask if there are any gently bruised produce that you can score cheaply.  Last year I got tomatoes for canning super cheap this way! Don't be afraid to ask!
  • Browse first, buy last.
    • Walk around and take note of prices.  This helps you get the lowest possible prices!
  •   Check out the info booth.
    • You never know what you might find there!  We have a punch card to get free reusable bags, sometimes they have contests or coupons to use at vendors. It's worth a walk by!
Cut back on meat.
Think about adding different proteins to your diet.  I like to stretch ground turkey by adding other proteins to bulk it up.  Our tacos or enchiladas frequently have black beans added.  Canned or dry beans are MUCH cheaper than meat, you just have to be creative.  That's what Pinterest is for! Lentils are super nutritious fillers too!  If you happen to see a great deal on meat, freeze extras!  This week we have a Buy 1, Get 1 Free deal on pork at Family Fare.  I will get roasts for carnitas or pulled pork and chops for easy grilled meals.


Shop at Aldi first.
I'm pretty Aldi obsessed.  I love how they are growing and changing each year!  Their new organic and natural line is so tasty!  I love Aldi for their prices AND best part: you don't need any pesky coupons!   I do realize you can't get everything there, so I shop Aldi first...then hit up other stores.

New to Aldi? Check out my old post: Aldi for Beginners

What are you doing to help save with the rising prices? Any tips for us?!

Up to 80% off newspapers!
Get up to 80% off local newspapers! A great gift idea too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are no Aldis in California. But we do have Trader Joe's.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS