Being Cheap is Easy: Fall favorite: Apple pork chops

Fall favorite: Apple pork chops

August 31, 2012

I love, love, LOVE fall.  Cider mills and comfy sweaters are the best!  Favorite part? The food!  Who doesn't love comfort food!?

My mom used to make these pork chops growing up and this was one of the first recipes I had to steal for my own kitchen.  There are a lot of pork and apple recipes out there, but this one is by far my favorite.  The apple cider vinegar gives it a great, unique flavor. 

Try it out!

Ingredients
  • 1 lb of pork chops, pounded to 1/4-1/2 inch thick
    • I tend to keep them thicker, they reheat better
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup apple juice
  • 2 Granny smith apples, cored and sliced
  • 2/3 cup whipping cream
    • I never have this on hand.  I use any milk or even almond milk I have on hand.
Let's get cookin'! 
  1. Season chops with salt and pepper, then shake in the flour.
  2.  In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add chops and brown 3-5 minutes until mostly cooked.  Remove from skillet.
  3. Add vinegar, sugar and apple juice to the pan and dissolve sugar.  Add apples.  Poach apples in liquid until they are cooked and sauce is syrupy (about 8-10 minutes).
  4. Add whipping cream and stir, then return chips to pan.  Cook for 2-3 minutes and let sauce thicken.
    •  If sauce is still thin, add a bit of corn starch
I make this with a side of boiled baby red potatoes and a veggie.  Quick and easy meal!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS