Being Cheap is Easy: Week 1: Im officially a gardener!

Week 1: Im officially a gardener!

May 18, 2011

Now that the twins are toddlers, we fly through produce.  Olivia can eat up to 3 bananas a day! I can't complain too much, since they are at least healthy eaters.  I thought I could save a few trips to the grocery store by starting my own little patio garden.  I am going to track my progress over the next few weeks/months to let you know what I've learned from my gardening.  I must let you know that I know VERY little about growing plants and I am crossing my fingers these plants made it past those cold nights a few days ago.  Here's what I've planted:
  • 1 tomato plant- in a topsy turvy*
  • 1 green pepper plant- in a topsy turvy
  • 2 strawberry plants- in a topsy turvy
  • Herbs: basil, cilantro, chives and rosemary (in pots... I am trying to find something to replant them in)
  • 1 cucumber- in a topsy turvy
*A topsy turvy is one of those plant hangers that are all over the markets.  At Menards they have last year's model for $3.99 and Aldi has a generic version for $5.  You just have to buy a plant and use your own soil to plant them.  So far they are super easy!!

That list looks mighty ambitious, but it was super easy to get it all set up!  I guess setting it up is the easy part though, right?  I have already lost my first tomato plant due to crazy storms last weekend.  But Im staying optimistic!


I'll keep you posted!


Are you a gardener?  Any tips for a small patio "gardener"?!  I need any help I can get!  

2 comments:

Mrs. Weber said...

I have a few random spices planted in my yard from the previous owner, but I would love to do some of these things. I'm running out of space, so maybe I'll try the topsy turvy. It will be so fun for your girls to see the growth I'm sure :)

Unknown said...

They are super easy, just read the directions first! I was under the impression that I had to use seeds to start it, but you actually get a whole plant. The girls love using their watering cans to help out...although they tend to water the patio more than the plants. I can't wait until they actually are able to eat what they see growing!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS