Being Cheap is Easy: Mmmm Mondays: How to make a turkey burger amazing

Mmmm Mondays: How to make a turkey burger amazing

May 16, 2011

It's a double Mmmm Mondays to make up for me being such a slacker lately.  Keeping up with my love for grilling, I thought I would talk burgers.  I have been eating turkey burgers for over a decade now.  Since I've been with Ricky, I have started eating red meat again, but we rarely buy beef around here.  To me, turkey tastes just as good!  A lot of people are scared because they think they are dry (which they can be!), but if you make them right, you'll be hooked.  Here are some tips:
  1. Buy lean turkey meat: 93/7.  The extra lean (99%) is a bit too dry for burgers.
  2. Experiment with seasoning.  I love trying new spices!  My spice cabinet is overflowing.  You may have to add a bit more than you are used to.  Try a jerk seasoning or Cajun.
  3. Don't forget to cook over a lower heat.  You need it to be cooked through, but you don't want the outsides to be burned and a raw middle!  
  4. Once you put it on the grill, just let it be.  Flip after 4-6 minutes.  
Here is my basic burger:
  • Low sodium Lawry's Seasoned Salt
  • Montreal Chicken (or any grilling seasoning)
  • Steak sauce
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup grated onions
I don't measure any of the spices.  I know this is annoying for a recipe, but I feel you should go with what looks right to you, not by measuring everything.   Just mix them all together well. 
  •  When forming the burgers, make a basic patty and then leave a little indent in the middle.  I learned this from Rachael Ray and it really does help keep the burgers in a nice shape, not softball like. 
  • One package of turkey meat is usually 1 1/3 lbs, so it makes around 5 burgers.
Ready for something new?  Try this southwest spicy burger!
Saute onions and jalapenos.
With one package, you get 5 burgers or (4 plus 2 minis in our house)

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 cup of black beans from can (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 package of lean turkey meat 
  • Spices: Chili powder, Mrs. Dash's Fiesta Lime, cumin, grill seasoning (I use a few dashes of each)
  • A few dashes of Worcestershire and hot sauce (if desired)
  • Optional toppings: Pepper Jack cheese and avocado slices
  1. In a pan, sprayed with cooking oil, saute the onion and jalapeno until slightly cooked.  This helps to take away some of the crunch and brings out some flavor.  Allow to cool for 10-15 min.
  2. In a bowl, add turkey and beans.  Mix together.  
  3. Add a few dashes of the spices and sauces.  I usually go a bit heavier on the grill seasoning.
  4. Add the pepper mix and form into patties.  As I said earlier, make sure to indent the center of each patty slightly to keep a nice shape on grill.
  5. Grill and top with desired cheese and avocado slices. 

I have made 100s of turkey burgers, if you need help just ask!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS