Being Cheap is Easy: Extreme Couponing: good or bad for couponers?

Extreme Couponing: good or bad for couponers?

April 08, 2011

It seems as if everyone has been watching TLC's show "Extreme Couponing" and the buzz is all around the blogs and Twitter.  I finally sat down to watch an episode last night and it kind of annoyed me.  Yes, I love using coupons and saving money using deals, but there is a fine line between stockpiling for what you will use and hoarding!  The people they show on this show are crazy, in my opinion.  Do you need 70+ bottles of mustard?  How in the world do you eat 90 packs of lunchmeat before they go bad?!  Also, a common sense rule of thumb for couponing is to be nice to other fellow deal seekers: don't clear the shelves! 

When I first started using coupons, I realized how easy it was to get caught up in the "freebie frenzy" as I call it.  Its a huge eye opener when you realize how much you can really save.  But one thing to remember is you have to actually need or use the products you are getting.  Also, you have to factor in how much you are spending to get the coupons.  My rule of thumb is to get as many papers as you have family members.  Some weeks (especially for diaper coupons) we will get more papers, but I try to keep it around 4 papers each Sunday. 

I feel there are good and bad aspects of this show.  I'm very happy that it is shedding light on the potential savings out there by using coupons, but I am also worried it makes all deal seekers look like crazy people filling up carts like zombies.

Here's where I want your input!  Did you see the show?  What did you think?

I have noticed quite a few new readers!  First of all, let me say "thank you!" and next I would like to point you in the direction of some posts that will help you out if you are new to saving money.  If you feel like you are completely clueless or have questions please email me!  I love to help get people started and I know how it feels to be kind of lost at the wealth of information out there.  I'm nice, I promise!

Helpful posts to get started:
  1. How to Stay Organized
  2. Where to find coupons
  3. Doubling or stacking coupons
  4. How to find freebies
  5. Afullcup.com: My favorite 'deal seekers' resource
  6. New parents?  Great coupon mailing lists to be on
Have a great weekend everyone!!

*Don't forget to VOTE FOR ME!  The contest ends April 15th! *

2 comments:

Angela McNaul said...

Hello, I am a new follower (found you via bloggy moms) I did not catch this one but I saw the other one that aired last January. And honestly, as a couponer, I was disturbed. I think that people who get that much stuff, they are not giving true couponers a good rep. AND if you have to spend 70$ ordering your coupons so that you can get free candy bars, are you really saving money, or as much as you think? I could go on for hours about this. I love saving money, and yes at one time I could have upwards of 20 boxes of cereal in my house. But they get eaten by us or we donate them to the food bank at our church!
Now I step off my soap box.

If you want to visit and follow me: my blogs are www.thisfrugalfamily.blogspot.com or www.princessandmypeaboutique.blogspot.com (this leads to my etsy store: www.princessandmypea.etsy.com

Unknown said...

Thank you for following me! I agree 100% with everything you said! We also have tons of cereal, but we actually eat it! I think TLC should re-evaluate their show to shed a more realistic light on savings. Most people can save 50%, not 98%!!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS