Being Cheap is Easy: Going Green? Organic savings!

Going Green? Organic savings!

April 23, 2011

It seems as if everyone is "going green" these days.  The only problem is knowing what to buy or how to save money.  I try to go organic whenever possible, but for the most part the products are way above what I like to spend.  Through doing a little research I have found a few great resources for organic/green coupons. 
  1. Mambo Sprouts:  Coupons available online and about 4 times a year you get a mailer to your house with more coupons.  
  2. Whole Foods : We no longer have one to shop at in our area, but if you are fortunate enough to have one, check out their website!  There are great recipes AND they have a ton of coupons on their website which you can use at other stores too.  They have an email list to join which you can get coupons to print off, too.  Always check in the front of the store while visiting for more coupons, too.
  3. Muir Glen: I love their fire roasted tomatoes and their coupons go great with sales. Here is a great recipe for fire roasted tomatoes that I love in the summer months for a light meal.  Make sure you make the rice, too!
  4. Seventh Generation: Cleaning products have been a new venture for me, I always seem to find deals on this brand and they always have great coupons. I didn't like their diapers, but the wipes and kitchen sprays are great.  The laundry detergent is amazing, but always so expensive!  
    • Green Works is another brand (by Clorox)
    • Don't forget, you can also clean by using baking soda.  I know, I know...it doesn't have a pretty smell, but it works! 
  5. Earth's Best: Although I made (and will make again soon enough!) a majority of my baby food, I really liked their line of products and the variety.  Although they are a bit pricier, they have a lot of sales and just sent them an email for a bunch of coupons mailed to you!  
    • If you are interested in trying Earth's Best, send me an email for some free product coupons! I have 10 to give away!
  6. Store brands!  You may have noticed some store brands which have organic options, like at Meijer, Copps, Target, Cub and Walmart.  With the store brands, there is a good chance there will be sales or discounts without coupons. Do some price checking though, you can sometimes get name brands cheaper with sales + a coupon!
  7. Earthbound Farms:  This is hands down my favorite organic produce brand.  I always have coupons and they have great sales at most grocery stores. Sign up for their mailing list and you will get coupons.
  8. Cascadian Farms: Frozen veggies, canned soups, cereal.  Always coupons available on major coupon websites.  Click the link for some!
When I was making the baby food for the girls, I was more focused on buying all organic food for them, but after research, I found I should only buy certain things organic.  Here are some quick tips:
  • When you are buying fruits and veggies, just buy organic for foods that you eat while (ie: anything you eat the skin of-- apples, pears, etc).  This tip helped me a lot and saved a lot of money!  The main thing I buy organic is spinach and lettuce, since the chemical level in those items tend to be higher than bananas or something. 
  • Since the summer months are coming up soon (hopefully....), check out your local farmers markets for local products.  That's the best way to get fresh produce without gardening yourself!  I will really miss the Madison one, but I've heard the Grand Rapids market is fun too.  Not sure where to go?  Check out this farmers market finder.  So helpful!
  • I know that organic products are not really something you think of as being for smaller budgets or cheap.  More and more coupons and sales are out there and once you start looking, you may realize going green is cheaper than you think!!  Companies know that people's budgets are tight, so simply emailing your favorite brands (or brands you are interested in) will result in some savings. 


Do you have any tips or websites I might like?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS