Being Cheap is Easy: Mmmm Mondays: My specialty sangria

Mmmm Mondays: My specialty sangria

April 11, 2011

To me, sangria is the perfect warm weather beverage.  I figured I would share this recipe now, so you can have it tucked away for a BBQ or nice summer night.  Maybe I am also secretly hoping that thinking about warm weather will bring warmth to the Midwest.  Not just a teaser day, actual spring.  Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

My sangria recipe is super easy and not very "official".  I'm not quite sure what ingredients are in "official" sangria, but I'm positive people in Spain are not using Crystal Light in their recipes.  You can make this both alcoholic or a mocktail (which I will be sipping on) and both are pretty tasty.

  1. Base. I make the base and let it "marinade" for hours or days in the fridge.  It can last up to a week!  Just add more wine/juice when it gets low.
    • Bottle of red wine: I usually use Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot.  Don't spend a ton on this, I promise even cheap brands can taste great.  I've even used 3 buck Chuck from Trader Joes.  Get a larger bottle if you are planning on serving a lot of people
    • For the mocktail: use cranberry juice, berry juice or kiwi strawberry
    • Fruit: oranges, limes, strawberries, apples, grapes...anything on hand. Chop up in bite sized pieces.
    • 2 packets of Crystal Light Pure in grape or berry.  (click on the link if you are confused by what I type I'm talking about).  It sounds weird, but it really helps add some flavor without tons of sugar.  Add one packet for every 3 cups of additional wine you use. 
    • Combine everything in a pitcher or container and let sit in the fridge.
     2. When it's time to serve:
    • Fill a glass with ice
    • Pour: 2 parts base, 1 part vodka (or so...) and 1 part Diet 7up (or any lemon/lime variety).  Make sure to get some fruit in the glass!
    • Top with a dash of cinnamon and a squeeze of citrus juice
    • Enjoy!  Be careful though, it is pretty tasty, but strong!
  • NOTE: You can add the vodka to the base.  I would add about 2 cups in with the wine. If you are serving a group, its easier to just add as serving to guarantee everyone gets equal amounts. Also, some may not want the vodka.
In the summertime, I almost always have the base ready in the fridge for any last minute occasion.  Ok, lets be honest...I make it for one of those long days after the girls go to bed. 

I hope you enjoy....let me know what you think!

This would go great with my Mock-a-mole Recipe!!

*Don't forget to VOTE FOR ME!  The contest ends April 15th! *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS