Being Cheap is Easy: Mmmm Mondays: Last of winter soup

Mmmm Mondays: Last of winter soup

April 04, 2011



Whenever I go to the Olive Garden, their Zuppa Toscana soup is a must on my list.   Since we never have time to go out to eat, it was necessary that I figured out how to make it.  Its a pretty basic soup with kale, Italian sausage and potatoes, but the flavor is amazing.  Here is my version!  I looked up a ton online, but I really couldn't find one that I liked, so I made up my own.  I never write things down when I am making up a recipe, so I hope everything is right...oops!  This does take a bit of time to make (30 min, tops), but it is amazing for these last cool days before spring officially hits (at least here in the Midwest).

Ingredients:
-Soup-
  • 1 lb of hot Italian sausage links (mild, if you like)
  • 4 medium red potatoes (you can use any type you have on hand though)
  • 2 quarts of chicken stock
  • 1 package of pre-washed kale (or 1 bunch- you then have to wash, remove stems and chop)
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Parmesan cheese shreds for a topping
  • Crusty Italian bread (optional, but oh so great for dipping)
-Cream alternative mix in (you can substitute 1 cup of heavy cream)-
  •  1/2 cup of flour
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • Dash of nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup of milk (I used skim, but whatever you have on hand)
  • Small handful of Parmesan cheese
  1. Heat a big soup pot to medium-high heat 
  2. Remove sausages from casing and add to hot pan.  I don't find oil necessary because the sausage creates grease. Break up in pan and cook until no longer pink
  3. Meanwhile, wash and chop potatoes into larger bite sized pieces.  Add to pan with sausage.
  4. Add garlic and stir ingredients frequently.
  5.  Once everything seems brown and cooked (potatoes should still have a bit of crunch to them), take out of pan and add butter & flour.  Try to scrape up all of the yummy bits on the bottom of the pan.
  6. Once flour & butter have cooked for about a minute, add nutmeg, milk & cheese and allow to become thicker paste.  I recommend heating milk up a bit so it doesn't clump up.  Slowly add the 2 quarts of chicken stock and simmer.
  7. Add cooked ingredients and kale and simmer until potatoes are finished. You can add salt and pepper, as desired.  It is pretty salty already with the sausage and cheese, so I would go lighter on the salt.
  8. When scooping into a bowl, top with cheese and a side of warm Italian bread for dipping. 
Yum yum!  I may have to make this again before it warms up later this week!  I hope it turns out amazing for you!

What is your favorite soup to make on a cold, windy day?  I love new recipes!

    2 comments:

    Jen @ BigBinder said...

    Ooh, that looks really good! I love that soup! (And also the salad. And the breadsticks...)

    Unknown said...

    I need to figure out how to make those breadsticks! Im assuming lots and lots of butter.

    Post a Comment

    Share your thoughts!

     
    FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS