Being Cheap is Easy: MYO "skinny" cocktails: Margarita

MYO "skinny" cocktails: Margarita

March 15, 2012

Yesterday I shared my updated Sangria recipe.  It's probably my favorite, but this one is for sure going to be a staple for our summer BBQs.  I have been trying to make a healthier margarita for a year or so and I can never get the taste quite right.  Then I finally figured it out: use Crystal Light margarita mix instead of limeade.  It saves a TON of calories!  Best part, there is a generic Target brand which saves some extra money.  You can put that money towards a better bottle of tequila!  I was very skeptical at first, but it is tasty!  The key: mix only 3 cups of water, not the whole 2 quarts.

Quick & Easy "light" Margarita
Crystal Light margarita, Skinny Margarita, Crystal Light
Ingredients:
  • Crystal Light or Target brand Margarita powder
  • Diet lemon/lime (I like 7up)
  • Tequila of choice.  I would say go for at least a $10 bottle.
  • Orange & lime for garnish
Mix it up!
  1. In a pitcher, mix Margarita mix with 3 cups of cold water.  That's all of the prep you need.  I guess you could also slice your citrus now.  If you have a crowd, make 2 packets with 6 cups of water.
To serve: 
  • Fill a glass with ice.  If you want to salt the rims, more power to ya!
  • Add 2 shots of tequila (more or less to taste)
  • 1 cup of margarita mix
  • Top with 7up (about 1/4 cup).
  • Garnish with orange and lime.  For a touch of sweetness, add a teaspoon of agave nectar (or splenda).  Ricky likes a splash of Trop50 orange juice too. 
You can do a lot with this basic recipe.  I tried grapefruit in it, which was great!  It's always nice to have an easy margarita recipe on hand for summer!

UPDATE:  For a blended margarita (very tasty!)
  • 3 cups of ice
  • the drink mix (margarita powder with 3 cups of water)
  • 1 cup tequila 
  • 1/2 cup orange juice

Try it and let me know what you think!  

Want a nice healthier snack with your margs?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS