Being Cheap is Easy: DIY baby food: mash it up!

DIY baby food: mash it up!

March 27, 2012


Before I had kids, I just figured making your own baby food was a daunting, impossible task.  Think again!  Once you get the hang of it, its quick and easy.  I use the ice cube method and I love it.  My favorite trays are the silicone cube trays you can find at the store now.  They are a buck or two more, but so much easier to freeze with and they make perfect 1 ounce cubes.  A perk to making your own baby food is you know what you are feeding your child. I have tasted that jarred stuff and it has no flavor! Also, you would not believe how much money you are saving.  The way Miss Gabby eats, we would go through eight or more jars a day!

The first part of this series is all about the mashables.  You don't even need to freeze these, just mash the food up before it's time to eat.

My favorite mashables:
  • Bananas
  • Sweet Potatoes (cooked)
  • Avocado
Bananas
  • Pretty self explanatory, just peel and mash with a fork.  I like to serve with a scoop of rice cereal or oatmeal 
Sweet Potatoes
  • Wash and microwave for 3-4 minutes each.  Don't forget to poke them with a fork!  
  • Let cool for a few minutes and then scoop out the insides.
  • Mash with a fork.  
  • I usually mash enough for 3 days, so about 2 potatoes.  They are great with mashed bananas.  




Have you tried to make your own food?  What are your favorite combos to make?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS