Being Cheap is Easy: Mmm Monday: Creamy Tomato Basil {Video}

Mmm Monday: Creamy Tomato Basil {Video}

May 18, 2015

Soup, Tomato Soup, Pesto, Tomato Basil soup, Silk Cashew Milk

I know, I know. I JUST posted a couple of patio drinks last week and was excited about the warm weather.  But in our house, soup is a year round meal....especially tomato. I've posted my roasted tomato and pepper soup before,  but this one is a bit different!  Since the twins will be on summer break soon, I'm stocking up the freezer with bread, muffins and soup. Mmm, mmm!



If you frequently shop at Aldi, you may notice they have containers of Roma tomatoes very cheap--usually less than $1/lb.  I like to stock up on those and make this soup. In the summer, during prime tomato season, you can get them super cheap at the farmer's market too--I like to ask if there are any not so pretty ones in that they'd like to sell me.

My little ladies gobble it up for lunch or dinner.  The trick to making it extra special is the pesto...or green dressing, as Olivia calls it.  You can easily make your own at home, but I love the Costco jar of pesto.  It lasts forever and it has a great flavor!

Check out my instructional video and don't forget to subscribe to my page.  Warning: I am NEW to videos and I realize they're not quite perfect yet.  I'm learning!  Any tips or feedback would be great!

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Makes 8-10 servings

What You Need:
  • 2 pounds of Roma tomatoes
  • 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1 bulb of garlic
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil (about 2-3 tablespoons total)
  • 1 cup Cashew milk (or your favorite milk)
  • 2 tablespoons pesto
  • 4 cups of stock (chicken or veggie)
    • I use 4 cups of water with 1 heaping teaspoon of Better than Bouillon
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning, divided
  • Optional toppings: parmesan cheese, basil
  • Hand Blender or Blender
  1. Heat the oven to 375.  Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Slice tomatoes in half and put in baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning and a drizzle of EVOO.  Cut bulb of garlic in half and drizzle with EVOO, wrap in foil.  (Video has more information about this).
  2. Roast tomatoes for 30-40 minutes and garlic 45-50 minutes.  Your home will smell AMAZING.  Set aside after roasted.
  3. In a large soup pot, heated over medium high heat, add a swirl of EVOO (about 1 tablespoon) and onion.  Cook until translucent, about 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
  4. Add pesto and chicken boullion to the onions.  Stir until heated and slowly add water.  (If using stock, add only pesto first).  Bring to a bubble, then add roasted tomatoes and garlic.  I use about 5-6 roasted garlic cloves.  
  5. Cook for 15-20 minutes on medium-low heat, seasoning with salt, pepper and remaining tablespoon of Italian seasoning.  Slowly add in the cashew milk.
  6. Use a hand blender to make the soup smooth.  If using a regular blender, be VERY careful with the hot liquid and steam!
  7. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and basil to serve! Tastes amazing with toasted bread.
simple soups, tomato soup, pesto, roasted garlic
My little kitchen helper Gabby approves! She ate TWO bowls for lunch that day! Where my tiny kids put all of the food they eat is beyond me!

What's your favorite year-round soup?

3 comments:

Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies said...

So, just noticed Midland is building an Aldi. I'll never complain about having more grocery store options! This soup looks amazing. I'm, too, a fan of year round soup and it's usually tomato with a grilled cheese on the side

Unknown said...

Yay!! You'll love it--it's always my first stop when I grocery shop! Saves so much $$!

It's great said...

Just want to say Hi!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS