Being Cheap is Easy: What I'm reading: BFFs, Mexican food

What I'm reading: BFFs, Mexican food

November 28, 2012

Surprisingly, I have been a total bookworm lately.  Before I have used the excuse "I have no time to read!", but in reality I have plenty.  There is nothing better than curling up with a good book at night after the girls are in bed!

The local library is in walking distance and we go there all of the time.  The KDL system is great because I can set up holds online quickly for both regular and eBooks. 

Since I am always looking for new books to read, I thought I would share my recent favorites and hopefully you'll give me some good suggestions!

The first book, MWF Seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche was found randomly through an ebook search.  It caught my eye because I can totally relate.  Since I've moved and had children, I feel that I am lacking friendships.  I am lucky to have friends all over, but everyone is so busy!  Also, only a few have kids and can actually relate to my life now.  No bueno!



In her book, Rachel goes on a yearlong search for new friends in Chicago.  She had recently moved from NYC and wanted some friends who were close.  With an ambitious goal of 52 friend-dates in a year, she started her search.  I can't imagine working a full time job, having a husband and trying to go on 52 friend dates.  It's interesting how she finds people- some are friends of friends and some are complete strangers. 

As I am reading the book (I'm not finished yet), I totally want to be her BFF.  Also, it kind of inspires me to want to branch out more in my area.  I feel like I should have some mommy friends by now!

The other book that I am loving right now is Mexican Slow Cooker by Deborah Schneider.   As you may have noticed, I love Mexican food.  This book is nice because there are so many things I have tried at restaurants that I would love to make easily at home, and it breaks down the recipes for you.  Last night I made carnitas (slow cooked pork) and it was amazing.  Most recipes seem pretty simple.  Definitely a great Christmas book idea!! 



Other books I love:
  • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  If you haven't read this yet, you should!  Everyone seems to be buzzing about it.  I had to wait for 3 months on the library list for it and finished it in 3 days.  It's one of those books than makes you think long after you are finished!  
  • Anything by Jennifer Weiner.  Total girl books, but she does an amazing job with character development.  I read 5 of her books in October...I was addicted.  My favorites: Then Came You, Next Best Thing and Best Friends Forever.  She also wrote In Her Shoes, which I love the movie and it's next on my list to read.
What are you reading now?  I need to add to my list!  Also, I would love to start a local book club if anyone is interested!  

Don't forget, I'm doing local shopping tours!  If you are interested, fill out this quick form!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS