Being Cheap is Easy: Mmmm Monday: turkey chili mac

Mmmm Monday: turkey chili mac

November 12, 2012

I wish I had a decent camera...you know what chili looks like though!
Can you believe it's November?  Sunday is football day in our house: Go Bears!  I really don't enjoy watching football, but I do enjoy the food!  I also like to catch up on my magazines while the games are on.

I love to make turkey chili because I know it is at least somewhat healthy.  We have a big debate in our house: with or without macaroni.  Ricky thinks chili mac is weird...I think he's weird for putting hotdogs with his.  I totally win, right?

Turkey Chili Mac

Ingredients
  • 1 package of lean ground turkey (usually 1.25 lbs)
    • I really love Butterball brand, it crumbles so well!
  • 2 cans of reduced sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cans of chili ready diced tomatoes (14 oz cans)
  • 1/2 of a beer (any light variety works)
  • 1 small can of tomato paste 
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can diced green chili peppers (4-6 oz)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1.5 packets of chili seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 box elbow macaroni
  • Toppings: cheese, jalapenos, hot sauce, avocado, green onions, sour cream, Fritos...whatever you like!
 Let's get cookin'!
  1. Cook macaroni as listed on package.
  2. In a big soup pot, heat a bit of oil over medium high heat.  Add turkey and start to brown, crumbling with a spoon.  Add green chili, onion and garlic.  
  3. Once browned, add cumin, chili powder and chili seasoning.  Put entire can of tomato paste and mix up and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add half of a beer.  You might as well drink the other half!  
    • The alcohol will cook off, but if you are concerned about serving to kids, just use 1 cup of chicken stock.
  4. Add packets of chili seasoning, tomatoes and beans.
  5. Simmer on low until ready to serve.
  6. I like to put the macaroni in a bowl, top with chili and my favorite toppings.
Enjoy!

I hope you are enjoying this dreary Monday...what a perfect day for chili!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS