Being Cheap is Easy: "Skinny" watermelon mint margarita

"Skinny" watermelon mint margarita

June 30, 2012

Watermelon, Mint drinks, Crystal Light drinks, Skinny drinks with Crystal Light
I am so excited to share this recipe with you!  I don't even like watermelon and I am obsessed with this drink.  In my mind, a perfect summer drink is refreshing and simple. Plus, it is versatile.  You can use vodka or gin for another take on this drink.  Even rum with more lime and mint would turn this into a mojito!

I have a major addiction to Crystal Light margaritas.  Ricky was actually surprised I didn't bring the mix with me to Mexico (I should have!). Once you go back to regular margaritas, they are hard to handle!  Talk about headaches and heartburn!  Sugar free is the way to go!

I got the idea for this drink a while ago.  We were watching Jersey Shore last season (I know...I know...) and was fascinated when Ronny makes the Ron-Ron juice.  I saw him put watermelon in the blender with some rum or vodka.  Instead of thinking: "hey, they look way too drunk whenever they drink this", I was intrigued.  Not surprising.  Ever since, we have been experimenting with watermelon drinks.  I have yet to find a drink that isn't tasty with it!  I love that it is such a cheap and easy ingredient as well.

Fun fact: In Rachael Ray's magazine this month, they did a test and concluded that it is actually cheaper to buy the pre-cut watermelon.  Since the rind isn't weighed as it is with the whole watermelon, it is much cheaper by pound.  Good to know, isn't it?  I can't wait when it goes down to $0.49/lb.

We also have an abundance of mint in our herb garden, so I have been trying to figure out what the heck to do with it all.  I can only drink so many mojitos and cucumber/mint water!

Take this with you for a 4th of July party (or any cookout) and you will be a rockstar!  Beware, you will want to drink many of these...you can't even taste the tequila.

Here's what you need:
  • Crystal Light margarita packets
    • Don't follow the directions, just mix 3 cups of water with the packet.
  • Watermelon, seedless (2 cups, cut)
  • Tequila
  • Fresh mint (8-10 leaves), plus more to top
  • Limes to garnish
Simple Prep 

  • Make the margarita mix, as stated above.
  • In a chopper or blender, combine mint and watermelon.  Add a touch of agave (or 1/2 teaspoon sugar) and sprinkle of salt.  Sounds strange, but it adds a nice touch. 
    • I would make a larger batch...it stays fresh in the fridge for about 5 days.  If you are mixing for a crowd, just multiply everything.  Super simple!
Mix it up!

In a glass, filled with ice, combine:
Garnish with lime and a few mint leaves.

Drink it up!  Since these are slim margaritas, you won't feel as bad having a few drinks! Well, that is my philosophy at least.

Gotta have my UW shot glass!
You may be tempted to add more tequila, but beware!  These drinks are a lot stronger than they taste!    

If watermelon really isn't your thing, try my regular margarita recipe.  You will still be a rockstar, I promise!

If you want to turn this into a mocktail, just add lemon lime soda instead of tequila!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That sound oh so yummy. I'm more of a rum girl than tequila, so I would probably chicken out and do a rum version lol.

Unknown said...

It's also tasty with rum, just add more mint and about half of a lime. It is a great mojito!

Unknown said...

I usually have a lime margarita but I think I will give this a try!
Thanks Victoria @Easy2SaveBlog

Unknown said...

Let me know what you think if you do!

hippie_mom said...

Looks delicious! I know what I am making for my next party ;)

Unknown said...

Awesome! Make sure to stock up on Crystal Light margarita mix...I have heard it is only seasonal and will be discontinued soon. I have no idea what I will do without it!!

Junderwood said...

Great idea, Ash. Out of desperation for a mixer the other day, I used some strawberry lemonade crystal light with gin. Very summery.

Unknown said...

I did the same thing the other day! Love the strawberry lemonade!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS