Being Cheap is Easy: Freecycle your junk!

Freecycle your junk!

June 21, 2012

Find a local Freecycle here!
I have written about Freecycle before, but I thought I would remind everyone.  This is the time of year to clean the hidden areas of the house: the basement, attic and garage.  Ugh.  As much as I would like to say I stay organized, I have random boxes still left unopened from our move back in September. 

VHS tapes?  We have them.  Ugly drapes that came with the house?  In the garage.  All sorts of crap. 

Some items we can try to sell at the garage sale, but others I just want to throw away.  Who needs 15 year old vertical blinds?  The funny thing is, someone might be looking for them!

Freecycle is like Craigslist, but everything is FREE.  It's like a hoarder's paradise. You can list items you want to get rid of or list items you are looking for.  It is amazing what people get rid of!  I have even seen working lawnmowers and exercise equipment.

I found someone moving and she was getting rid of all of her garden stuff.  Score!  Now we have pretty clay pots, plant food and all sorts of stuff.  I say "stuff" because, as a novice gardener, I have no idea what they are for!  Foam cones?

We are getting new-to-us couches for the basement and we can finally get rid of the uncomfortable ones that were left in the house.  The fact that they have lasted this long shocks me!  Tomorrow morning I am going to list on Freecycle "free couches" and hopefully someone will pick them up!  This saves us the time and energy of hauling them somewhere or calling for a pickup.  Fingers crossed my plan will work!

* UPDATE: the couches were gone within 3 hours!  So happy! *

The local branch is a Yahoo group and I subscribe to the daily email, so I don't have to remember to check the website.  If something is listed that I am interested in, I simply click to email the person who posted the item.  So breezy!

I also like to laugh at some items posted.  There was a lady for a while who was apparently cleaning out her closet and was listing everything: broken heeled boots, used bras and undies.  No bueno!   Some people don't know when to throw stuff away!

Have you found any gems on Freecycle?  Any newbies, make sure you check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS