Being Cheap is Easy: Recipe: Turkey chili

Recipe: Turkey chili

December 29, 2011

I love winter because of all of the warm comfort food.   Chili is my favorite because you can freeze it or eat leftovers for a week.  Since we rarely eat beef, I always use turkey for my chili.  It's super simple and great paired with cornbread (Jiffy!) and a cold beer.  If you want to step it up a notch, make these amazing corn fritters.

Photo Credit (I do have a new camera now, so look forward to more quality pics soon!)
Ingredients:
  • 1 package of ground turkey
  • 2 cans of chili beans (mild or hot)
  • 2 cans of chili ready tomatoes (Red Gold are the best!  Especially since they are Michigan tomatoes!)
  • 1 small can (5 oz) of tomato paste- not necessary if you like a thinner chili 
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno (or half green pepper) chopped
  • 2 packets of Chili seasoning (I usually use 1.5 packs)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cumin & 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • Macaroni noodles to serve over
  • Toppings (all optional): cheese, sour cream, Fritos or crackers
I am horrible about writing my recipes down, so I am going by memory here!

Directions:
  1. In a large pot, heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil (medium heat).  Add onion and jalapeno and cook for 2-3 minutes.  You just want to soften the onion.  Add turkey and brown.  I spice with cumin &chili powder here.  
  2. Once browned, add tomatoes and beans.  Stir and bring to a simmer.  Next add one packet of chili seasoning.  Cook for 15-20 minutes and check flavor.  If you need more seasoning, add here.  
  3. Start macaroni noodles now.
  4. Add tomato paste and cook as long as you like.  This can simmer all day or be eaten now!
I top mine with everything: jalapenos, sour cream, chives/red onions and cheese.  I think the chili mac style is a Michigan thing, people in Wisconsin thought I was crazy!

This is just a base.  You can mix it up as you like.  Here are some variations I make:
  • Add one can of chili beans and one black beans.  Add a small can of green chiles and 1 cup frozen corn.  Perfect tex-mex style chili.  To make it really hot, add a chipolte in adobo sauce.
  • Instead of macaroni noodles, make it with spaghetti.  Or you can bake it with cheese in the oven like a casserole, topping with cheese and fritos. 
  • Substitute turkey for beef.  After browned, add half of a beer and simmer.  Only add one can of beans and tomatoes.  The beer will cook out, but add some flavor.
  • To make vegetarian: add corn, zuchini, carrots, green pepper and a jalapeno.  If you want the meaty flavor added still, use veggie crumbles.  You really can't tell its missing anything!
How do you make chili?  I find every family makes it different!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS