Being Cheap is Easy: Mmmm Mondays: Baked Potato Soup

Mmmm Mondays: Baked Potato Soup

December 05, 2011





I love baked potato soup and I have tried many recipes, but I always go back to this one.  It's super easy and tasty.  I wish I could remember what magazine I got this from, but I have no clue.  When I worked at Macys (2004...forever ago!), I was in the customer service department and I would get so bored at night.  They had stacks and stacks of old magazines sitting in there from a co-worker and I used to write down recipes out of them.  This is one of those.  I also found a great broccoli cheddar soup that tastes like Panera's.  I'll have to share that also!

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup butter (half of a stick)
  • 1/4 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cups chicken stock (I find I use a bit more...it gets very thick)
  • 12 oz. can of evaporated milk (I like the skim version...any will do)
  • 2-3 large potatoes baked (leftover mashed potatoes work also, about 2-3 cups)
  • Toppings (all optional): bacon, chives, cheese, crackers
  1. I always pop the potatoes in the microwave on the potato setting (8-10 minutes) earlier in the day.  Just make sure they have cooled a bit before you start making this.  Chopping the hot potatoes is not fun!
  2. In a pot, melt butter over medium heat. 
  3. Add onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until soft.  Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
  4. Gradually add milk and broth.  I like to add the milk first.  Turn heat down to low until potatoes are added.
  5. Scoop pulp from one potato and mash with a fork.  Add to soup pot.  Chop the rest of the potatoes, with or without the skin, and add to soup. 
  6. Cook over medium until the soup comes to just a boil.  Season with s&p.
I love my soup "loaded", so I add bacon, chives, cheese and a bit of sour cream or greek yogurt.

Enjoy!  Make this with some grilled sandwiches and you have an amazing dinner in less than 20 minutes!

What's your favorite soup? 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing nice information with us. i like your post and all you share with us is uptodate and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job.
Cheap Blog Comments Service

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS