Being Cheap is Easy: Thank you Rachael Ray!

Thank you Rachael Ray!

October 12, 2011


I absolutely adore cooking now.  Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration since I cook at least 3 meals a day for the girls.  But I do really love trying new recipes.  The past few years I have been really learning a lot about cooking, but 8 years ago I could barely make a meal without calling someone to ask how to make it.

One of my favorite stories is when I thought I would be nice and make a meal for my roomies. My sophomore year I decided to make lasagna for my 4 roommates.  Rachael Ray had not quite yet made her way into my life, I lived off of typical crappy college food.  I looked up a recipe online and headed out to the store to buy everything.  Gosh, I miss Woodmans (only the best grocery store EVER).

I started off great making a simple sauce with some Italian sausage.  Then it all went downhill.  When reading two cloves of garlic, I envisioned a clove as a whole BULB.  When I was trying to cook, I had no idea how to peel the cloves and it was a mess.  The lasagna was filled with the papery pieces from the garlic and it was inedible.  Can you even imagine how much garlic that is?  At least 20 cloves!

My hands reeked and I swear I had garlic coming out of my pores for days.  Our house smelled even horrible, as well.  The lasagna (needless to say...) was thrown out.  My brave roommate Silja was nice enough to try a bite, but the rest was quarantined.

After this incident, I decided it was time to learn how to cook.  I started to pay attention to 30 Minute Meals, instead of complaining, when my roommate Maggie watched.

This is why I would like to thank Rachael Ray.  She showed me how to actually peel and crush garlic properly.  She also taught me what EVOO is and what the heck to do with kale.


This post was for Mama Kat's Writing Workshop.  I chose to write about a recipe gone wrong.

Mama’s Losin’ It

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I think the garlic thing is a common mistake--I have a friend who did the same thing--except I don't think she used THAT MUCH garlic!!! You are an amazing cook with some amazing recipes!! You are also an amazing Mom, by the way! Love ya, Beth

Mrs. Weber said...

Love this! I have no idea how to use garlic properly, so I just guess or go by taste with the minced kind. I really should watch more Rachel Ray - I need major help in the kitchen with little things such as this, using knives, etc.

I almost did this prompt...the other day I made sticky buns and someone thought it was fried chicken. Yeah...apparently bread dough and I don't get along. Oh well! You live, you learn when it comes to cooking :)

Unknown said...

Lol, for sure! Bread is something I barely try to conquer, its so much easier to buy! I have had many disasters. I love Rachel Ray, although people tend to find her annoying. I like that she makes everything simple and she teaches many commonly used techniques. Her magazine is amazing, next time there is a deal I'll let you know! I got 4 years of subscription for less than $5.

Maybe we could do a cooking session sometime!

Unknown said...

And thank you Aunt Beth! I try my best!

Unknown said...

The only thing I learned about garlic is to buy it in a big tub from Costco already diced up so I can avoid handling it all together. I know, lazy!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS