Being Cheap is Easy: Aldi for beginners

Aldi for beginners

October 22, 2011

Happy Saturday y'all!  Are you going grocery shopping today? Read this first!

Aldi is one of my favorite grocery stores.  In the past, I've written an "Ode to Aldi".

I know I can't buy everything I need, but I can get great deals on staples.  As I was strolling down the aisles there yesterday, I saw an Aldi newbie looking confused and excited at the same time.  A huge light bulb went off in my head: I need to break Aldi down!  A lot of people are scared to go there and you really shouldn't be!  Here are my tips!
  1. Always keep a quarter in your car.  You will need it for the cart!
    • Don't forget your handy reusable bags too! You can also buy them there or find boxes within.
  2. Shop here first, you can cross off a lot of your list
  3. Don't be afraid to browse or try something new.  Here are my favorite items (just in case you didn't see my last post):
    • I am a Kraft mac n' cheese girl, but their version HAS to be the same!  Its super yummy and at least 50 cents cheaper!
    • Fit n' Active brand: chicken stock, egg beaters...pretty much everything is great
    • Frozen chicken: tenderloin/breast and whole chickens.  Much cheaper than other grocery stores and I feel they are juicier! 
    • Ground turkey
    • Frozen burger patties.  I know grilling season is pretty much over, but these are great to have on hand
    • For the kids: fruit snacks, granola bars, chicken nuggets
    • Frozen veggies & fruit
    • Bread, especially buns
  4. If you really like an item, you may want to consider stocking up!  (Not crazy Extreme Couponing style, but you know what I mean!)
    • I fell in love with their ranch rice cakes when I was pregnant and they are rarely there anymore!  If I see them, I buy at least 5 bags. 
  5. Although they have sale ads, most of their prices are always the same.  I love this because you always know what to expect. 
    • They don't accept coupons, but they really aren't needed anyway!
I could go on forever!  If you have never been, visit your local store!

Pin It

2 comments:

Mrs. Weber said...

So happy you posted this. I have an Aldi's literally around the corner from me and I've NEVER gone! I'm not even sure why...just not a store I have ever been to, so I guess I mentally assumed it wasn't worth the trip. But now I'm willing to give it a shot (helps to save $? I'm in!). Maybe I'll even go tomorrow...thanks for the tips as always!!!

Unknown said...

Please let me know if you like it!! I think people get a bad impression because they are remembering the Aldi from when they were younger. A few years ago they revamped everything and once you go, I'm sure you'll be addicted...especially if it is around the corner from you. You can make a quick grocery trip!

Don't forget your quarter!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS