Being Cheap is Easy: Summer Boredom Buster: Yay Labs! Ice Cream Ball

Summer Boredom Buster: Yay Labs! Ice Cream Ball

August 01, 2015

Disclaimer: We received the Yay Labs Ice Cream Ball as part of the #StonyfieldBloggers program. All opinions are my own.

#YayLabs, DIY Ice Cream, Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream Ball, Stonyfield Yogurt, #StonyfieldBlogger
So we’re hitting that “I’m boooooored” part of summer. I’ve pulled out all of my tricks so far: exciting themed library trips, numerous trips to the zoo, fun craft mornings and now I’m just plain out of ideas.  It doesn’t help that the weather has been in the 90s all week. My girls have quite the Teen Beach 2 obsession going on too. I let them watch 20 minute chunks of it at a time so they aren’t zombies in front of the TV all day.

#YayLabs, DIY Ice Cream, Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream Ball, Stonyfield Yogurt, #StonyfieldBlogger

We got the Yay Labs! Ice Cream Ball last month and the girls have been dying to try it. I figured frozen yogurt would be best! Initially, I planned to use our favorite Banilla Stonyfield yogurt, but we gobbled that up too fast.  Plain yogurt is a perfect blank canvas, though!

For more information about the Yay Labs! Ice Cream ball, check out their website.  They're also on Facebook and Instagram!
#YayLabs, DIY Ice Cream, Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream Ball, Stonyfield Yogurt, #StonyfieldBlogger

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
Makes: About a pint

What You Need:
  • Yay Labs Ice Cream Ball
  • 1 cup rock salt
    •  I found this by ice cream makers, but it’s also in the salt section
  • 2 cups Stonyfield plain or vanilla yogurt
  • 1 cup chopped strawberries
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 8-10 cups ice
Combine yogurt, chopped strawberries and honey in a pourable bowl/cup (I love the 4 cup Pyrex one) and mix. On the reverse side of the ball, add rock salt and ice. Ours took about 9 cups. Fill the ice cream side of the ball with yogurt mixture.

Let the kiddos play with it for 10 minutes, then scrape down the sides. Play for an additional 10 minutes. Ours was still a bit soupy in the middle, but once we mixed it together, it was perfect.
#YayLabs, DIY Ice Cream, Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream Ball, Stonyfield Yogurt, #StonyfieldBlogger

We can’t wait to try new flavors! Since the ball is so heavy, be sure to help out the kiddos.  My girls were quite tired after the first 10 minutes.  Also, no kicking the ball---you could break your foot AND the ball.

Overall thoughts: We really had fun with this. It doesn’t make a ton of ice cream, but I could see us taking this on a vacation or camping for a fun activity. I did find it hard to scrape the sides of the container after the yogurt was frozen—be sure to use a metal ice cream scoop.  Next time, I’m going to scrape down the sides every 5 minutes instead of 10.  Also, since the ball is so heavy, be sure to really supervise while they’re playing so no one gets hurt. Older kids would have a much easier time (my twins are 6 and daughter is 4). The kids LOVED this tasty treat and were pretty proud that they made it.  Anything to get the kids excited about cooking is an A+ in my book!
#YayLabs, DIY Ice Cream, Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream Ball, Stonyfield Yogurt, #StonyfieldBlogger


What are your summer boredom busters?

14 comments:

Mrs. Weber said...

Oh my girls would LOVE that! How fun!

Jenn said...

How fun! This would be the only way for us. The ice cream makers that you have to turn are too much work. This looks fun. And yummy!

Nicole Lintemuth said...

What a fun way to may fro-yo! Little bit of exercise before getting to enjoy a cold treat :-)

Ron Leyba said...

Really fun and enjoying activity. Love that frozen yogurt too!

GeekDad248 said...

We've used ice cream balls before and they are so much nicer than the churners with I have to so often times better results when it comes to home made ice cream. For our family's food allergy concerns store bought ice cream can be tricky because of contamination issues and bad labeling practices by the industry so items like this are very nice to use.

Crystal said...

I've never heard of that. We have been dealing with the Teen Beach Movie 2 obsession. My 8-year-old is very interested in the fact that I grew up in the 80's!

Becki said...

That does look like a good time :) My daughter always enjoys something more if she makes it herself.

Unknown said...

They totally would! It is quite a bit of work, but it's worth it in the end! I'm going to try regular ice cream next!

Unknown said...

We have a machine that has never even been used yet! This is WAY more fun!

Unknown said...

I think next time we will get out our plastic bowling pins and make a game out of it! The ball is quite heavy.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to make different flavors and regular ice cream too!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I bet it would be hard to find ice cream! I really want to try ice cream with coconut milk next.

Unknown said...

Isn't it funny when you tell them about how life was?! My kids just don't get that we didn't really have computers or cell phones. I can't wait until they can start reading my favorite books: Judy Blume and Baby-Sitters Club.

Unknown said...

That's what I've found too! We have a garden and now my kids are actually eating tomatoes.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS