Being Cheap is Easy: Mmmm Mondays: One Pot Sausage Rigatoni

Mmmm Mondays: One Pot Sausage Rigatoni

August 17, 2015

One Pot Pasta, Rigatoni, Sausage Pasta, Easy Pasta Dinners, Budget Friendly Meals

I will admit, I was quite skeptical when I saw everyone posting about one-pot pastas. I assumed the pasta would be either crunchy or way over cooked. Where does all of the liquid go?

From the first time I tried it, though, I was HOOKED. I will never boil water separately again. We can now have a pasta dinner in less than 25 minutes and by cooking the pasta in the sauce, it gets SO much flavor.  Plus you only have one pan to wash. Or should I say, for Ricky to wash.


After experimenting with a few spaghetti recipes, I was ready to try rigatoni. The girls love "tubey noodles" and I was craving some comfort food last week.  I will say this now: I'm ready for fall. I feel like the heat cramps my cooking style. Even with the air on, our upstairs becomes a sauna with the oven on. I want to bake!
One Pot Pasta, Rigatoni, Sausage Pasta, Easy Pasta Dinners, Budget Friendly Meals

One Pot Sausage Rigatoni
Adapted from this Budget Bytes recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound Rigatoni
  • 2 teaspoons EVOO
  • 3 sausage links--we love spicy Italian or chicken
  • 1 cup zucchini
  • 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 heaping tablespoon pesto
  • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • 4 cups veggie stock 
  • 1 jar (24 oz) pasta sauce
  • Optional toppers: parmesan cheese and basil
  1. In a large pan (I actually used my wok!),  add extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Cook sausages whole, about 3-4 minutes on each side, until brown.
    • Make sure the pan is deep enough to handle about 6 cups of liquid, plus the rest of the ingredients. A dutch oven would be perfect, too!
  2. Remove from pan, set aside to slice. They don't have to be completely cooked, since they'll go back into the pan soon.
  3. Keep the pan over medium heat, add onion, zucchini, pepper and garlic. Cook about 4-5 minutes, until onion starts to become translucent. Add pesto and stir.
  4. Return sausage to pan, add pasta sauce and stir to incorporate.
  5. Add stock and noodles.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat to LOW.
  6. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
    • Note: there will be a point where you think I'm nutso....at about the 10 minute mark there is still quite a bit of liquid. TRUST ME, it will turn into a sauce once the pasta starts cooking
  7. Once sauce has thickened, remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese and basil.
One Pot Pasta, Rigatoni, Sausage Pasta, Easy Pasta Dinners, Budget Friendly Meals

Have you tried one pot pasta yet? What veggies would you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS