Being Cheap is Easy: Road Trip! Our Mini-Vacation to Mackinaw City #PureMichigan

Road Trip! Our Mini-Vacation to Mackinaw City #PureMichigan

June 25, 2015

 Mackinac, Mackinaw, Road Trip, #PureMichigan, Michigan Vacations, Mackinaw City, Budget Travel, Mackinac Island on a Budget
Last year, we took a road trip to Mackinaw City with my parents.  Michigan has so many beautiful places to visit, it's nice that we can travel only 4 hours to a whole new world.  Since Ricky is a newbie Michigander, we had to check out Mackinac Island and the area surrounding it.  Be warned: I have a lot of photos!

Time for a quick history lesson for all of you who aren't native to Michigan: we have a lower and upper peninsula, which are connected by a 5 MILE Mackinac bridge.  We stayed in Mackinaw City (yes, it's spelled differently) which is in the lower peninsula.  To visit Mackinac Island, you have to take a quick ferry across the lake to the island.  The area has so much fascinating history and it's very remote, for being such a large tourist town. On Mackinac Island, there are NO motor vehicles aside from a few emergency vehicles--everyone gets around by foot, bikes or on horses.  How cool is that?

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I am headed to the UP in August. We are going to Tahquamenon Falls and Pictured Rocks!!! I can't wait!!! I haven't been to Mackinaw City in years and we will be just passing through this year. Looks like a fun trip!

Liz Parker said...

Great post! I need to go back to Mackinac ... it's been a while and I've only visited once.

Unknown said...

I didn't remember it at all. It's quite a touristy area--but it was a perfect place to stay for our long weekend. Enjoy your trip!!

Unknown said...

Thank you! You should! I know, I swear it was like 20 years since I last visited! Traveling with kids makes everything so much more fun--they open your eyes to things you don't notice.

GeekDad248 said...

We didn't realize til we got to Mackinac City that there are forts on both the island and mainland. We hit the one on the island and want to go back to tour the mainland one.

Unknown said...

I really loved it! They started uncovering everything in 1959, so there is a lot of information about the archeological dig--my girls loved to see the artifacts! Plus you can't beat a real live cannon firing!

DetroitDuchess said...

We went to Mackinac a few years ago for a wedding and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely makes for a fun day trip...and you can't beat the fudge!

Unknown said...

There were 2 weddings happening while we were there--looked so magical! Definitely perfect scenery! I am eating fudge right now...we still have SO much left.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS