Being Cheap is Easy: Aldi Haul: What I Bought For $50! [Video]

Aldi Haul: What I Bought For $50! [Video]

June 23, 2015


You all know by now that I LOVE ALDI. I've been shopping there for years--even before I had kids. It's a budget shoppers dream store and you can really find some gems there.  Their season section is always fun to browse.  Like I always say: you can get MOST of your groceries there, but not all.  I like to go there first to knock of most of my list before heading to Meijer or Costco.

I've tried doing meal planning a few times, but I just prefer to see what's on sale at the grocery store. We have quite a few recipes we love and I get ideas at the store. I always beeline for the markdown produce and meat first.  If I find eggplant, we'll have have that during the week.  In the meat section, if there's cheap chicken thighs or a roast, that will be added on the menu.  I think this is the best way to budget grocery shop.

At Aldi, I've found the most meat markdowns on a Monday or Tuesday.  They put big red stickers on their packages to indicate a markdown. For EACH sticker, they'll take off that amount. For instance, if there are 3 red $2 off stickers, the cashier will take off $6! Food markdowns are usually found on rolling carts by the seasonal section. Thats' where I found Sriracha Kettle Chips for $0.89 this week!

Storing items is also essential.  When we get home, I put all produce in their fruit bowls (apples and bananas can NEVER go together, FYI) and store the veggies.  For most items we cook, I find at least 2-3 uses for it so there is less waste.  When I'm making bacon for brinner, I'll save 1/4 of it for salads or breakfast quesadillas.  Grilled chicken is always cut up for lunches or stir-fry later.  While I don't like to have many leftovers in the fridge, items like that always get used up.

We got home from our long weekend in Mackinaw City, so our fridge was pretty bare.  We are getting a 40# box of chicken from Zaycon this weekend, so I really didn't need to buy much meat. At Aldi, I stocked up on produce and a few staples we needed.  Check out the video to see what I got for $50!

Heads up: they have quite a few new options in the beer and wine section, be sure to check them out! The hard cider and shandy are super tasty!

Do you shop at Aldi? Tell me all about it: favorite finds, etc!

1 comment:

RRTigerguy said...

This is no longer happening at Aldi. A manager in the Columbus, GA location informed me that they no longer mark their meats down, and if I didn't want the meat items (sell by date was today), he would take them to the back and throw it away. Not donate it, not mark it down and make some money on the items, but THROW IT AWAY. I was floored.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS