Being Cheap is Easy: Cook Once, Eat Twice: BBQ Meatballs #SweetSwaps

Cook Once, Eat Twice: BBQ Meatballs #SweetSwaps

June 17, 2015

Disclaimer: I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for the SPLENDA® Brand. I received product samples to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation. All opinions and reviews are my own.
#SweetSwaps,  SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, Lightened Recipes, Meatballs

Lately, I feel like there isn't enough time in the day.  With so much going on, there is barely time for ME time, let alone time with my friends.  Sometimes a gal needs some adult conversation....and wine!  It seems many of my friends have the same situation: busy schedules that are impossible to sync up.  When my friend Becca suggest an outdoor Zumba class, I was in!  What's more fun than making a fool of yourself with your friends?

Combining a great workout with a girl's night is a perfect way to fit "me" time into the schedule! Since we were going to be sweating up a storm, I made sure to bring a tasty dinner for my girls to take home--and there is a secret swap that makes it a tad bit more figure friendly. (More on the tasty food later)
#SweetSwaps,  SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, Lightened Recipes, Meatballs

If you're in the area, this FREE Zumba class takes place every Tuesday from 7-8.  It's located at Alger Middle School, right off of Kalamazoo Ave.  The teacher was AWESOME and I am definitely feeling it today! Some ladies there really knew how to shake it.  Me? Not so much.  But it was SO fun.  My friends Becca and Sarah met up for some laughs and sweat. Our goal is to go at least 1 time per month.

I've known Becca since I was 4 years old.  We went to daycare together, then school.  When I moved away to Wisconsin, we still kept in touch but I was so happy to live near her again when we moved to West Michigan.  It's nice that we can still have such a friendship after all of the years (and teenage drama!).  She's an art teacher for GR public schools, planning a wedding AND graduating from a Masters program--I really can't complain about my schedule at all! I met Sarah through Becca a few years ago and she's ALSO planning a wedding.  Zumba will be a great way for us to relieve stress and get into shape after a long Midwest Winter.  Usually we just go out for happy hour, but this is a healthier way to catch up.  Not saying wine won't follow a Zumba workout at some point...

Handing off the meatballs after Zumba felt a bit like the old piano teacher on Wedding Singer who always gave Adam Sandler meatballs after lessons.  We were hot and sweaty, but I know the meatballs would be devoured later!

Now for the food!  This meatball recipe is from the SPLENDA® SWEET SWAPS™ website.  I love that you can lower the sugar content of your favorite meals by making simple swaps in recipes. The SPLENDA® brand offers granulated, brown sugar and sugar blends for all of your cooking and baking needs.  Be sure to read on the package how to convert your favorite recipes--most have a 1:1 ratio.
#SweetSwaps,  SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, Lightened Recipes, Meatballs

BBQ Meatballs
Adapted from this Mommy Hates Cooking recipe
Makes 28 large meatballs (14 to eat, 14 to freeze)

Meatball Ingredients

  • 3 pounds of ground meat 
    • I love 1.5 lbs lean ground beef and 1.5 lbs ground pork, all turkey would be great too!
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups Quick Cooking Oats
  • 12 oz can Fat Free Evaporated Milk
  • 1 Cup Chopped Onion
  • Spices
    • Steak Seasoning to sprinkle on top
    • 2 teaspoons Salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
    • 1 teaspoon BBQ seasoning
  • 2 teaspoons  SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
Sauce Ingredients
  • 2 cups Ketchup
  • 3/4 cup  SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Let's Make Some Meatballs!
  1. Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, combine all meatball ingredients, except for the ground meat.  Mix well.  Add meat and mix with hands (take those rings off!).
  2. Shape meatballs into large size for 28, or smaller for over 40. 
  3. Line a cookie sheet with foil, spray with cooking oil. Place meatballs 2 inches apart.  Sprinkle with steak seasoning.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes.
  5. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions and brown sugar for one minute, until melts.  Add remaining ingredients and allow to bubble for 10 minutes on low.
  6. Add half of the meatballs to the sauce.  Place the rest in a gallon sized bag to freeze.  Allow the baggie to cool in fridge before freezing.  LABEL it BBQ Meatballs.
  7. Cook meatballs in sauce until ready to serve.  Enjoy!
#SweetSwaps,  SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, Lightened Recipes, Meatballs

This is a base for sauce.  Have fun with it!  Add hot peppers and peaches.  Or make it tart with raspberries.  The possibilities are endless!

Dying to try  SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend?  Here's a $1 off coupon!



What #SweetSwaps are you making this summer? If you're in the area, join me for Zumba!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS