Being Cheap is Easy: Mmm Monday: Cast Iron Chicken Pot Pie

Mmm Monday: Cast Iron Chicken Pot Pie

June 30, 2013

I've tried quite a few chicken pot pie recipes. In the winter, there is nothing better than a nice warm pot pie.  

In the summer, as much as I hate heating up the kitchen with a hot oven, I make pot pie at least once a month.  Since it is cloudy and a bit chilly today, this would be perfect!

My favorite recipe? Good old Pillsbury Cookbook version. It's easy to doctor up with some good roasted chicken leftovers and extra veggies (asparagus! mushrooms!). 

 As much as I would love to say I have a great pie dough recipe, I just use plain old store bought from Aldi.  


Look at that photo! It looks pretty fancy still!  The cast iron pot is perfect: it goes from the stove to the oven! No mess to be made. 

(Whenever I use my cast iron pan I think of Tangled and I always wonder how she swings it around with such ease.  Yes, I know she is a fictional Disney princess...)

I'll give you my version of the recipe, I've made a few changes over the years.

Ingredients
1 box of pie dough (I only use one sheet to save calories)
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
Salt & pepper, to taste (I also like to add Perfect Pinch Savory blend)
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 cups low sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup milk
3 cups shredded chicken (about 2 large boneless breasts)
2 cups frozen veggies (I like the peas & carrot mix and I'll throw in leftover veggies)
Egg whites to brush on crust

1. Heat oven to 400*.  Make sure pie crust is defrosted.
2. In a cast iron pan, heat butter over medium heat.  Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
     -you can do this in a normal pan and transfer to a pie pan or 8x8 square-
3. Stir in flour and season with salt and pepper.
4. Slowly pour in milk and stock, making sure to stir well to prevent clumps. Sometimes I add more stock.  Add bouillon cube and dissolve.
5. Stir in veggies and chicken and bring to a low bubble.
6. Cover with crust.  I liked a more rustic look, so I didn't perfect it.  Brush with egg whites.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until crust is brown. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Enjoy!! 

Recipe adapted from Pillsbury Classic Chicken Pot Pie
 
What is your favorite comfort food?









1 comment:

Mrs. Weber said...

Love this idea! Especially because it's a one-pot dish :)

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS