Being Cheap is Easy: 5 tips for a blogging conference newbie

5 tips for a blogging conference newbie

June 18, 2013



Earlier this month, I was lucky enough to attend my first BlogHer Food conference (complete recap is coming up soon!).  The food conference is a downsized version of the large conference set to hit Chicago in July.  Sadly, I cannot attend because we have a wedding.  Since my goal is to write a cookbook, I thought I should start learning more about being a foodie blogger.  I really enjoyed the smaller size of the conference. 

Although I've been to another conference before, this was my first BlogHer brand one.  Here are my best tips for a newbie. 
Texas = Frizzy Hair!

1. Be comfortable.

I know everyone says bring comfy shoes, but being comfortable goes way beyond that!  Make sure you aren't packing clothes that you are fussing with or generally not comfortable in.  Also consider where the conference is taking place.  Bring cardigans because those conference rooms can be chilly! 

The first event, I saw this girl who was trying to walk in these 5 inch platform wedges in a strapless dress.  She was fussing trying to keep her dress up all night and her feet were turning bright red.  Later that night, I spotted her barefoot.  While you are networking, do you want to be uncomfortable? No way Jose!

If the event is in the summer, pack cute flats or sandals that you have worn before.  If you are a pro at walking all day (and night!) in wedges, go for it!  In my opinion, I would say flip-flops are a no-no. For night events, it may be okay, but you do want to remember that you are making professional connections!

The last night of BlogHer Food I made the mistake of wearing a tank top I don't wear much and I was fixing it all night.  I learned my lesson!

2. Look like yourself.

This may seem like a strange tip, but I was shocked at how many people looked totally different from their online personas.  I completely understand not liking to have your photo taken, but try to keep a semi up-to-date one!  After meeting you, people will be trying to connect with you on Twitter, etc and it makes it so much easier if they can recognize who you are!  Vice versa: if you go to follow someone and they don't recognize you, they might just ignore you.  Don't miss out on that potential network!

While you are at the conference, I really don't think you need to be all dolled up.  Like I said before, though, if you normally wear makeup like the Kardashians, then go for it!  BlogHer Food was in Texas and it was HOT.  All of that makeup looks okay inside, but once we had outdoor events I saw people with their faces like melting off.  Not a good look!

3. Make unique business cards.

My cards are bright pink, green and very simple.  At first, I was kind of scared to hand them out.  But people remembered them!  Also, think about adding a QR code that links to your "About Me" section of your website.  Don't have an "About Me" section?  You better go make one, girl(boy)friend!  That is the first place people turn to on your page.

Also remember to hand your cards out to everyone! I kept my box in my bag, but about 25 cards behind my nametag.  When I met someone, I could easily grab one.  For a smaller conference, prepare for about 250 cards, for a large one you should bring at least 750!  Remember you are handing them out to both brands and other bloggers!  I have printed from UPrinting and Moo, both have turned out great! (Also, make sure you order through Ebates to get % of that cash you're spending back!)

There is a great free business card app (CamCard) which scans the cards and keeps them in your phone.  While I don't use this for everyone, I do scan people I really want to keep information close.  My business cards tend to become toys when I come home if I don't keep them up high!

4. Take notes after meeting people
After you're done chatting with someone, take quick notes on their cards.  I love those tiny post-its for double sided cards.  This is especially important when you're talking to a brand.  Their marketing rep may be from a different company, so be sure to write who you were talking with.  As much as you would like to give yourself the benefit of the doubt, remember that you have at least 2 days of networking! 
 



5. Don't break the bank with a new wardrobe!
Everyone wants to look cute, but don't spend out of your budget.  I found plenty of cute clothes at Target and Kohls, using coupons I spent next to nothing.  My most complimented shirt was a blouse I got at Target for $3.98!  I think if you stick with basic, classic bottoms and go for colorful tops you'll look great!  Also, find some cute dresses and accessorize with fun jewelry.  Most people are drawn to a great necklace or earrings. 

Extra tip: apply to volunteer!
 
Both conferences I've been to, I was lucky enough to be a volunteer.  If you ever are considering a conference, keep your eyes peeled in the emails for the opportunity to volunteer.  You get a free ticket for just a few hours of volunteer work.  Both times, I've been at the registration desk and I loved it!  You get to meet people right away and most people will recognize you throughout the conference as the first face they've met. 
 
 
For all of you seasoned conference Pros, what tips am I missing?
 


1 comment:

Mrs. Weber said...

Great tips! I love how you said look like yourself...I always have to do double takes of people to make sure it's really them!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS