Being Cheap is Easy: What the heck is: Jicama?

What the heck is: Jicama?

June 29, 2013



A few weeks ago I did a little game on Facebook and Instagram asking what the item was below was.  It took a few hours for someone to guess correctly.  Believe me, not long ago I would have no clue what jicama was either! 


I have been experimenting with new fruits and veggies lately.  I love searching the grocery store with the girls for new items to try.  We don't have a huge selection of new items here in Michigan, but it's a fun game for the twins! 

I'm a girl who loves crunchy food.  Also, I'm a dipper.  Being on Weight Watchers, it's hard to find a dipper that doesn't take up my daily snack allowance.  (I do love the Special K cracker chips though!!). You can only eat so many carrot sticks!  

Jicama is a perfect addition to salads and crudités.  I like to cut it into matchsticks for dipping, or I'll shred it for salads and slaw.

The best way to cut it is to slice off both ends and to peel it with a pairing knife or peeler.  I like to squeeze some lime juice on it. At first, you have to get used to the starchy texture.  Keep eating it, though! 

Here's my favorite Jicama Slaw recipe.  It's great with BBQ or fish tacos.

Ingredients
*1 cup shredded jicama
*1 cup shredded carrot
*1 cup shredded red cabbage
*1/2 red pepper, diced
*4 green onions, sliced thinly
*Added kick: 1 thinly sliced jalapeño 

Dressing (whisk together)
*Juice of 2 limes
*1 teaspoon agave nectar (or honey)
*salt & pepper to taste
*1/2 teaspoon cumin
*2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped

Toss it all together and chill for at least 30 minutes!

Are you a jicama fan? What the heck do you do with it?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS