Being Cheap is Easy: Mmmm Mondays: mexican lasagna

Mmmm Mondays: mexican lasagna

September 24, 2012

I love Mexican food.  If I was just cooking for myself, I would probably eat it every day!  I have found ways to make it much healthier, thankfully.  This is one of my favorite recipes.  It's a great freezer one too!

Once again, my photo skills aren't perfect.  Our camera broke once again...so we are stuck with phone pics.

Ingredients
  • 3/4 lb ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 (15.5 oz) can of kidney beans (I have also used black beans), drained and rinsed
  • 1 (4 oz) can of green chiles
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 (16 oz) bottle of salsa (use up all of the cheap Chi-Chi's salsa!)
  • 6 corn tortillas (I like Mission Extra Thin)
  • 1 cup light sour cream
  • 1 package of Mexican or Co-Jack shredded cheese (2 cups)
  • Garnish: olives, picked jalapenos, cilantro or tomatoes...whatever you like!
Let's make some lasagna!
  1. Toast tortillas in the oven at 350 for 5-8 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, brown turkey with onion. Drain. Add beans, chilies, chili powder, salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
  3. Time to assemble! In a 9 x 13" pan, add 1/4 cup salsa. Spread sour cream over tortilla and layer two over the salsa. Next comes 1/3 turkey mixture and top with 1/3 cheese. Repeat layers twice.
  4. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
  5. Top with desired garnishes.
Like Mexican food?  Try some of my other favorites:
What is your go-to Mexican meal?


2 comments:

Mrs. Weber said...

Ooooh, nom! That sounds delish and perfect for these cooler days. Totally pinning :)

Unknown said...

Thank you! I forgot to Pin it! It's so tasty...I might have to make it again this week. We never have many leftovers with Ricky around!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS