Being Cheap is Easy: DIY baby food: carrots

DIY baby food: carrots

April 10, 2012






Earlier, I shared the start of my MYO baby food series.  It is actually fun for me to make food, it's kind of my quiet time.  Plus, nothing is better than spending an hour or two making food to last a whole month.  Such a time and money saver!  Most food is self-explanatory, but I thought I should still go step-by-step.  Before I started making baby food, I was clueless!

I tend to stick with organic food when I'm making baby food, just to help control the quality of the food.  If you wait for sales, you can stock up for almost the same price.  Since we have been shopping at Costco, our produce costs have been cut way down.  They have huge 10 pound bags of organic carrots for $3.99!  If you happen to think of any questions, feel free to ask!  I love to help!

Carrots
  1. Peel and chop the carrots.  I place mine in a strainer.
  2. Bring 3-4 inches of water to a boil in a big pot. 
    • If your strainer doesn't fit in your pot, you can just cook them in 1-2 inches of water.
  3. Steam for 15-18 minutes, or until tender.  Save the water!
  4. Place in a blender.  Be careful! I have burned myself quite a few times during this process! Try to blend without water, but add the steaming water as needed.
  5. Once you are done blending, put in silicone cube trays (or any container you are using).  I usually leave 2-3 portions in the fridge for the week.  



Freeze and place into ziploc bags.  To use, defrost cubes in a container in the fridge overnight. 



So easy!  Good food = happy & healthy baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS