Being Cheap is Easy: Mmmm Mondays: Turkey pesto meatballs

Mmmm Mondays: Turkey pesto meatballs

April 23, 2012

Although I have made a few variations of pesto, I prefer to just buy it!  Pine nuts are expensive and why go through all of the hassle!?  I love the big jars of pesto at Costco or the Progresso brand at the grocery stores.  Note: it freezes SO well, so if you do make a batch, freeze in ice cube trays for later.

I accidentally came up with this recipe last week when I was craving my Turkey Meatball Minestrone.  The store was out of basil (so annoying...), so I was about to give up until I thought of the pesto I have in the fridge.  This makes a big batch, perfect for 2-3 meals.  Stick them in the freezer and you will be set for a month or two!

The cookie sheet cooks them so perfectly!  A definite must!

Ingredients:
  • 1 package of lean ground turkey (usually runs 1.25 lbs)
  • 1 package of turkey Italian sausage (mild or hot)
  • 1/2- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 tablespoons pesto
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • Italian seasoning (I love the grinder by McCormicks) and S&P to taste
Lets make some meatballs!

  1. Preheat oven to 400
  2. In a food processor, add onion and pesto.  Blend.  Although this is not necessary, I like to finely chop the onion this way, rather than with a knife.  If you want, add an extra tablespoon of pesto.
  3. In a large bowl, add ground turkey and remove the sausages from the cases.  Mix them together.
  4. Add onion mixture, breadcrumbs (start with 1/2 cup), egg and Parmesan.  Mix with your hands.  If the combination seems a bit wet still, add more breadcrumbs.  
  5. Season.
  6. Roll into meatballs and place on a cookie sheet with a cooling rack on top.  This will make sure they cook all the way around.
  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until brown.
Enjoy with some pasta, in soups or just alone.  They will make your kitchen smell amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS