Being Cheap is Easy: How-To: Make a Perfect Slow Cooker Whole Chicken {...and Stock After!}

How-To: Make a Perfect Slow Cooker Whole Chicken {...and Stock After!}

April 10, 2015

Slow Cooker Chicken, Rotisserie Chicken at Home, Simple Suppers

I use my slow cooker at least 2-3 times a week--it's one of my favorite appliances to use.  Especially for busy days when we need dinner ready in a snap!

This winter, I've was on a mission to find a way to make the PERFECT slow cooker chicken.  I love to make whole chickens in the slow cooker, but I find it's hard to get one that turns out like an actual rotisserie chicken.  Most of the time, the skin is all soggy and the veggies are overcooked.  First try, I used too much liquid.  Next try, the chicken was super dry.  The third bird was too small and all bones. I thought I would NEVER get it right! There are so many different recipes on Pinterest that make it sound super simple.  It's not y'all!



Here's what I finally discovered: a chicken without ANY liquid makes it perfect. There's enough cooking liquid to keep the veggies from burning...they actually caramelize more!  Also, don't use too many vegetables.  A far as the chicken goes, don't use super small chicken, either.  It will be all bones and the meat isn't very tender.  I've had the best luck at Aldi and Walmart getting whole chickens--my set price is $1 or less per pound.  I usually find double packs of chicken on markdown at Walmart.

I used my handy dandy meat thermometer that came with my Hamilton Beach Set + Forget Slow Cooker.  It's seriously my favorite one I've had--the locking lid is super helpful too.  When you put a roast or whole chicken in the cooker, you can simply set the temperature that you want the meat to cook and it will turn off once it's reached.  How cool is that?

As far as seasoning goes, you want to make sure you really season it well! If you have a Penzey's Spices in your area be sure to check them out! They have a whole store dedicated to spices--I was in a cook's heaven! I had a coupon for a free bottle of this Northwoods seasoning and I was super excited to try baking with it.  It is a blend of paprika, thyme, garlic and rosemary. Other spices that are amazing: Brady Street Cheese sprinkle (ah-mazing on popcorn!), Sandwich Sprinkle and Forward (a bold blend).  The spices are a unique gift, also!

The veggies used below the chicken are NOT for eating. Well, you CAN eat them but I have another plan for them: slow cooker stock!  You have the dirty slow cooker already, might as well make an overnight stock with it, right?!  It makes a tasty soup and you can even freeze it!
How To, Slow Cooker Chicken, Hamilton Beach, Being Cheap is Easy


Slow-Cooker Rotisserie Style Chicken
Here's What You Need:

  • 1 Large Chicken (5-7 pounds are best)
  • Prepped Veggies
    • 5 peeled carrots, left whole
    • 2 Whole Onions
    • 5 Whole Garlic Cloves
    • 3 Stems of Celery, halved
  • Spices
    • 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
    • 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
    • 1 tablespoon Penzey's Northwoods seasoning (or any mixed chicken on--McCormicks has a great one!)
    • 1 teaspoon Paprika
    • Kosher Salt to sprinkle on top
  1. Take the chicken out of the refrigerator and let it sit for about 20 minutes.  This will take off the chill a bit.  Preheat the slow cooker to low heat.  If you have a Set + Forget, you'll want your temperature to be 165.
  2. Prep your veggies.
  3. Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray and put a little EVOO at the bottom, if desired.  All of the veggies to the bottom. Season with a touch of salt + pepper.
  4. Rinse and dry your chicken. Mix the spices together in a small dish and season the chicken liberally.  
  5. Place chicken on top of veggies in the cooker and let it cook!
  6. NOTE: Since there is no liquid on top of the chicken, the skin does crisp up more than normal, but feel free to place in the oven at the very end for super crispy chicken!
  7. Let chicken rest for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy! 
#SlowCookerMeals, Chicken, Slow Cooker Chicken, Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker

Now time for the tasty stock! I was shocked how simple this was--you kind of forget it's cooking!

  1. After dinner, once the chicken is completely cooled, shred the meat off of the bone.  Not gonna lie, this part kinda grosses me out!
  2. Re-set the slow cooker to cook on low for 8 hours. 
  3. Keep the remaining liquid in the slow cooker, as well as the veggies and add an additional 3 cups of water.  Add the bones to the liquid once the meat is removed.
  4. Add extra garlic cloves, if desired.  Allow to cook 8-10 hours on low, or overnight.
  5. Once done, strain into jars or containers.  I like to chill the stock and remove the fat layer at the top.  If you want to freeze, place in baggies and lay flat on a cookie sheet until frozen.
  6. This will store in the fridge for up to a week and in the freezer for 6 months!
What do you think? Winner winner, chicken dinner?  What do you serve with your chicken? We always have a stuffing vs mashed potato debate!



Like this post? Be sure to check out my Facebook + Instagram pages for more updates!  Also if you make this recipe, leave a comment to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS