Being Cheap is Easy: Summertime Cocktails: Blackberry Smash

Summertime Cocktails: Blackberry Smash

April 27, 2015

Zevia cocktails, Zevia drinks, Zevia, blackberries, mint drinks

Somewhere between Freshman and Sophomore year in college, people started calling me Smash. It was obviously based on my name, Ashleigh.  I also tended to be a bit...um...crazy on nights out.  It would be like "uh-oh, Smash is coming out tonight!".  I am SO in for a treat when the girls get to be older, aren't I?



I'll spare myself from most of the embarrassing stories--I have WAY too many of them.  Since Ricky and I are coming up on TEN YEARS of being together, I'll share one quick story.  We would frequent a bar in Madison called Wando's on Tuesday nights because they had something called Bacon Night.  $1 cans of beer and FREE bacon.  Um, disaster waiting to happen? Yes!

Wando's has this unfortunate layout with a HUGE staircase right in front of the door.  I was up on the 3rd level getting my Natty Light (with a straw, of course) and Ricky was on the floor level meeting up with some friends.  You can see the staircase from the entire bar and it's connected to 3 levels. We had just started dating and he was pointing me out to his friend.  JUST as he saw me, I started TUMBLING down the stairs.  His friend was like "Is that her?!"....poor Ricky.  I can say I have fallen down those damn Wando's stairs more than a handful of times...mostly because I'm clumsy.

Side note, there is a character on the Chapelle Show named Smashley Evans.  Coincidence, or what?!

But now for this tasty drink recipe.  Since it is called the Blackberry Smash, I had to tell at least one Smash story!

I will admit, I used to HATE gin.  I thought it tasted like an air freshener.  But once you learn the right mix-ins, you will LOVE it.  Pinky swear.  This smash recipe is a perfect starter to make you love gin.  Plus, blackberries are only $1 this week at Meijer!
Zevia cocktails, Zevia

Zevia is the perfect mixer for cocktails.  It's made with Stevia instead of sugar and comes in 15 flavors. Lemon-Lime is my favorite for margaritas and more!  It frequently goes on sale at Meijer and Target--here's a $1 coupon for you!

Blackberry Gin Smash
Makes 2 cocktails

Here's What You Need:

  • 4 ounces of Gin (2 oz for each drink)
  • Fresh Mint Leaves, 10-12
    • To wake up the mint, clap it in your hands
  • 1/2 lemon, sliced into wedges
  • Liquid Stevia (or whatever sweetener you want)
  • 10 Fresh Blackberries
  • 1 can Lemon-Lime Zevia
  • Tools: Muddler, Cocktail Shaker, Strainer
  1. In your cocktail shaker, put mint, blackberries and 3 lemon slices.  Muddle for about 20 seconds. Add two squirts of liquid Stevia and top with 2-3 cubes of ice. Pour a spash of Zevia and shake for 20 seconds.  (That counts as a workout, right?)
  2. Fill your glass with ice and gin (I like to use stemless wine glasses or a rocks glass).
  3. Put the strainer on your shaker and pour half of the mixture into each glass.  Top with Zevia and one wedge of lemon.
  4. Enjoy!
NOTE: If you're still not a fan of gin, feel free to use vodka.  But please, give this drink a shot with gin too!  To make it a MOCKTAIL, just use more Zevia! 

This would be so pretty in a clear pitcher for a shower or on the patio for a party! Just multiply the recipe by 4-5 and muddle everything in the bottom of the pitcher.
Zevia cocktails, Zevia drinks, blackberries, lemon, lime, mint cocktails

Liquid Stevia is a great alternative to sugary simple syrup. There is a Skinny Girl one in the sugar aisle that I love to use in my coffee and tea. I have found it's an easy swap out in any cocktail drink. Remember, Stevia doesn't spike your sugar levels and actually DECREASES your urge for sweets. Check out this fun info-graph!

Making this drink for a BBQ? Try my Smokey Chipotle Zevia BBQ Sauce!

http://bit.ly/ZeviaBBQ

Disclaimer: I received product coupons to create the recipe, but all opinions and embarrassing stories are my own.

14 comments:

DetroitDuchess said...

Bacon night sounds AWESOME and so does this drink! It sounds like I need to get a muddler!

Bruna Camargo / StyleMile said...

Hmmmm These are good recipes. I may partake in some weekday drinking because of it. :)

Unknown said...

Umm. Yum!!!

Nicole Lintemuth said...

Sounds like quite a first impression on his friend! Lol, I'm such a klutz as well so I totally get that!

GeekDad248 said...

I've just never had a taste for zevia but I appreciate your creativity. Cheers!

Mom Among Chaos said...

My nickname was flash. I guess Crystal flash gasoline. Oh, I remember those day!

Unknown said...

Um...yum! I seriously love your beverage recipes.

Amanda McMahon said...

I love this - looks like a way to keep the sugar down AND relax a bit this evening!

Unknown said...

Yes! Muddlers are essential for mojitos too!

Unknown said...

Haha, thank you :)

Unknown said...

Yeah, I'm hoping my girls aren't as clumsy as I am when they get older! YIKES!

Unknown said...

Smash + Flash--sounds like an awesome superhero group! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks lady :)

Unknown said...

Exactly! You can even make it without gin and it's pretty darn tasty! I love blackberries with mint.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS