Being Cheap is Easy: MYO Takeout: Fried Rice!

MYO Takeout: Fried Rice!

January 14, 2015

If you follow my Instagram, you'll notice I make fried rice at least 2 times a month. I love it! It's an amazing fridge cleaner too...I like to use up whatever odds and ends I have in our veggie chiller.
A photo posted by Ashleigh Evans (@itscheapash) on
I love Chinese food, but Ricky has put me on takeout probation because I tend to just pick at whatever I order.  Don't you love when you have a ton of huge onion chunks and sauce and NO chicken? Or they mess up your order, but you're too lazy to call and fix it?  Here's my issue: I absolutely despise fried rice that is soaked in soy sauce.

In my small little hometown, we had a restaurant with the BEST fried rice ever (in my humble opinion!)...it's hard to eat anything else after that.  Shout out to House of Hsu in Grand Ledge, MI! It's crazy I haven't found another Chinese takeout with comparable fried rice yet.

Another reason I avoid takeout: it's expensive!  I like to know what's in my food and I actually don't mind cooking!   With a family of 5, it can be almost $50 sometimes! NO BUENO!

Fried rice is super simple to make at home and it's very versatile.  You can add more veggies, chicken, pork or whatever you have hanging out in your fridge!  Also, use brown or white rice--even quinoa!  It's fun to play around with!

This fried rice can be pared with another MYO takeout dish, like Chicken & Broccoli or General Tsos or bulked up to eat on it's own.  I truly LOVE the chicken potstickers sold at Costco (Ling Ling brand) to go along with at-home takeout.

Number one item you'll need for MYO Chinese takeout: a great wok.  I have this Caphalon one that we got for our wedding and it's perfect...especially since it has a lid. (Macy's has it on sale quite frequently for under $50) World Market has great ones too.
fried rice, MYO takeout, healthy takeout, healthy meals, Chinese food

MYO Takeout Fried Rice
(Serves 4)

Here's what you need:

  • 1 cup of rice
    • Cook and chill rice
    • Instead of water, use chicken/veggie stock. 
    • Optional: add 2 whole garlic cloves and a nub of fresh ginger root while cooking.
    • You can use brown or white rice
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 3 gloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 cups veggies
    • Simple recipe: use frozen peas & carrots
    • Extra filling: add whatever veggies on hand.  Ideas: pea-pods, mushrooms, bean sprouts, broccoli, peppers...
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
    • I realize sesame oil can be expensive, but a little goes a long way! Just be sure to store in the fridge to keep it from going bad. I found a small bottle for under $4 at Meijer
  • 1 tablespoon each: low sodium soy sauce & teriyaki--OR 2 tablespoons Trader Joe's Soyaki
  • Garnish- chopped green onion
Let's Wok!
  1. Heat wok (or large pan) with 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. 
  2. Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add remaining veggies and stir fry for another 4-5 minutes.  
  3. Create a well in the center of the pan and slowly pour eggs into it.  Scramble with a spoon and eventually mix with the veggies after mostly cooked.  
  4. Toss in the cold rice and remaining oil.   Season with Soyaki (or soy/teriyaki) and stir fry until heated through.
  5. Garnish with chopped green onion! 
  6. Enjoy!
Tips:
  • If adding meat, always cook completely before adding to fried rice.  I like to marinade chicken in Soyaki & sriracha and stir fry it BEFORE I start the rice.  Remove from pan and set aside.
  • Keep your pan at a med-high heat to stir-fry.  It might be tempting to turn the heat down!
  • Use more or less oil.  I never really measure, I can just tell.  As I always tell my girls: less is more!
  • Experiment!  You truly can't go wrong with this simple recipe! For extra protein, use quinoa and endamame instead of rice/peas.  Make it super spicy with hot chiles and sriracha.  Add pineapple for a sweet kick! 

Fried Rice, MYO Takeout, Trader Joe's Soyaki, Simple Suppers, Healthy Dinners, Chinese Food

What's your favorite MYO Takeout Recipe? Please share! 

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Had House of Hsu fried rice for dinner last night. ;) We'll definitely have to try this recipe!

Unknown said...

It's seriously the best! Even Ricky admits it's amazing and he didn't even grow up in GL! Yummm. I want their sizzling rice soup too!

Unknown said...

I love fried rice! Especially being able to make it at home

Betsy said...

That looks great! I love chicken friend rice!

Liz Parker said...

Yum, I love Chinese food. Not a huge chicken fried rice fan but I would try it!

Unknown said...

I'm obsessed with fried rice but never make it at home! I totally need to try this! YUM

Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies said...

I also feel like my hometown has the best fried rice (Schezuan House in Frankenmuth -- the dirty walls just make it all the more delicious) and I seem pretty incapable of making decent fried rice at home! I'll have to try out your recipe, because Midland's fried rice game is seriously weak (except at the Thai place where it's spicy with curry and sweet with pineapple, but that's kind of a whole different genre).

Unknown said...

Hopefully this will change your mind! I don't like it if it's super greasy and soy filled...ew!

Unknown said...

Thank you! Let me know what you think :) I hope you are enjoying your trip!!

Unknown said...

OMG, I'll have to try the Thai place next time I'm in town!! What's it called? I have tried a few of the Chinese places and you're right...kind of lacking. Or super expensive for what you get!

Ron Leyba said...

I love my fried rice simple. I love it most when there is plenty of toasted garlic sprinkled on it..

Yummy chicken Chinese fried rice said...

I love this recipe.....

Unknown said...

Thank you!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS