Being Cheap is Easy: Let's Chat About: Grocery Shopping at Aldi

Let's Chat About: Grocery Shopping at Aldi

January 18, 2015

Aldi, Grocery Shopping, #letschat, Budget, Groceries


I'm going through some of my older posts and I realized I really need to update my Aldi one! It's still visited quite frequently, but I have MANY more tips!

If you aren't an Aldi shopper (and there's one in your area!), you really should check it out!  They offer healthy foods, gluten free, organic and more at rock bottom prices!

Quick starter tips:

  • Bring a quarter.  It's for the cart and you'll get it back!
  • Bring your own bags.  You can also purchase them there. After checkout, you will be bagging your own items.  
  • Come with an open mind.  I always have a "try anything" mentality when shopping there--although, we aren't too brand loyal anyways.
  • They don't accept coupons, but it's okay! Prices are so low, it doesn't matter!  Occasionally, the Sunday paper will have a $5 off store coupon to use.
  • No credit cards are accepted! Only debit, cash or Snap. 
Part of shopping on a budget means keeping a stocked pantry! I like to keep a running list of items we need on my phone, categorized by store.  (It's the Reminder app on my iPhone)  When we run low on rice, I know it's cheapest at Aldi so it goes on that list.  Totally helpful!  

One thing to realize is you can't buy EVERYTHING at Aldi, but you can knock off at least 50% of your list....usually more!

They have a health focused brand called Fit & Active.  Most of those items will be lower in fat, sugar, sodium, etc.  This is the main brand I buy there. Favorite items: rice cakes, jelly, ground turkey, meatballs, yogurt.  There are also gluten free and organic brands they recently introduced!  

Aside from their store brands, they have some main-stream brands also.  The selection depends on the store

My favorite items to buy at Aldi:
  • Lunchbox fillers/Snacks: granola bars, crackers, nuts, bread, lunch meat
  • Baking items: flour, sugars, spices, corn starch, salt
  • Pantry fillers: tomatoes, stock, beans, tuna, rice, seasoning packets, oil, vinegar, coffee
  • Frozen items: Fit & Active meatballs, frozen boneless thighs, whole chickens, veggies, Fit & Active whipped topping
  • Dinner helpers: thin pizza crusts, gnocchi, whole grain pasta, rice
  • Produce/Dairy: almond milk, milk, egg beaters, eggs, yogurt, lettuce, cheese
  • WINE: My favorite right now is Intermingle...it's a red blend that is the same as Cupcake Red Velvet, but $3 cheaper!  The knockoff Corona is tasty too.  
Keep in mind: some items are seasonal, others aren't always in stock.  When you find something you love, it's smart to stock up.  When I see my favorite ranch rice cakes, I get a few bags!  

Produce is usually at great prices, but the selection can be hit-or-miss.  No matter what you can get bananas, potatoes and onions, but items like avocados, berries or peppers might not be in stock.  When there's a super low price on a produce item, it's best to go early in the week!

When browsing the meat section, if you see red stickers, the $ off amount is the markdown.  For instance, if a roast has three red $1 stickers, it's $3 off!  They count EACH sticker on there! We don't eat much beef, but I do like to grab pork chops and ground turkey there!

My biggest tip is to TRY EVERYTHING.  I really don't have any items that I steer clear of at Aldi. Many people have a bad impression of the store and they've never even set food inside!  For people who are on a budget, but can't find time to coupon, Aldi is a perfect option for you.  

I suggest you browse the aisles and check out all they have to offer! The stores are usually small, but packed with tasty looking food!  In the seasonal section, I can always find something new--I even found my hand weights and yoga mat there! Not sure where your local Aldi is? Use the store locator

Here are some recipes I have based on Aldi shopping:

Update: After receiving a few questions on FB and Twitter, I took it upon myself to ask Aldi directly about allergens in their food.  All items are clearly labeled and it's safe shopping for you! Here's a statement from Aldi:

Thank you for contacting us regarding the labeling of allergens on our products. 
 
In accordance with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, ALDI product labels indicate any ingredients that contain any of the eight major allergenic foods and food groups:  milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat or soybeans.  All of our manufacturers adhere to this standard. 
 
Thank you for shopping at ALDI.
 
Sincerely,
 
ALDI Customer Service

Now let's chat! What are your thoughts on Aldi? What do you buy there?  

3 comments:

Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies said...

My closest Aldi is about 30 minutes away, so I've never been -- but it sounds like a great place to at least scope out. Now if I can only remember to have cash on me next time I'm in the area!

Unknown said...

I think you'd really like it! Is the closest one in Saginaw?

Mrs. Weber said...

You know I LOVE Aldi! And I am totally trying that wine next time. Love love love all your tips :)

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS