Being Cheap is Easy: Hello 3-1! My Birthday Goals for 2015 #StonyfieldBlogger

Hello 3-1! My Birthday Goals for 2015 #StonyfieldBlogger

January 31, 2015

I used to make New Years Resolutions, but then I would forget them by mid- January--just like everyone else.  So last year, I decided to make goals for myself on my birthday.  Even though it's just 16 days into the year, I feel like birthday goals are less daunting.  Don't ask me the method to my madness!

Last year, being 30, I wanted to push myself to get out in the community more.  We'd been in Michigan since 2010, but I felt like I still didn't know much about the area.  I also wanted to spend more time on myself, especially health wise.   I now regularly eat breakfast--which never used to happen.  Even if we're running late, I grab a Greek yogurt to take with me.  Ricky always comments on my food selection in my car: bananas, protein bars and usually a yogurt, since it's cold out. Gotta be prepared!

This year, I want to continue those goals and also try to shop more organic.  Being on a tight budget, it can be hard but there are SO many more deals and coupons than there used to be.  

My main organic focus is on produce and dairy.  I think it's really important for the girls to have organic milk, yogurt and cheese whenever possible.  I am finding it's best to shop sales and use coupons.  One of my favorite brands is always Stonyfield for yogurt.  I love their Greek yogurt cups and the girls gobble up the French Vanilla by the quart. Coupons are readily available and you can easily combine with a sale for cheaper than store brand prices.  Milk has been a hard one for us--especially since we all drink different types: I'm almond, the girls are 2% and Ricky is skim.  If you have any tips for saving on organic milk, I'm all ears! 
organic shopping, budget, groceries, Stonyfield, #StonyfieldBlogger


I realize people find organic shopping really scary, especially if you're on a budget. Here's a few tips I have for you:
  • Pick something to focus on.  If it's produce, stick with the dirty dozen (aka, the most contaminated foods).  For lettuces, Earthbound Farm is always on sale and they offer weekly coupons. With dairy, find a brand you love with coupons (*cough* Stonyfield).  It's best to realize you can't go completely organic all at once, especially on a budget! 
  • Shop Around. Hands down, the best organic deals for us are at Costco and Aldi.  But that might not be the case for you--it's best to check out organic sections at your local stores.  Don't forget to check out health food stores!  Since we don't have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (I know...it's awful!), I check out Harvest Health foods once a month to stock up on bulk items--sesame seeds, grains, etc.  Buying items in bulk is a great way to save, since you're just buying what you need.  
  • Contrary to popular belief, coupons for organic foods are everywhere! Pair them with a sale and stock up, if you can use it! My favorite sources for coupons:
  • Don't Stress.  I know this is a hard one.  There is SO MUCH information going around about how you should eat. It's overwhelming! Do your research and do what you can for your budget!
Dirty Dozen Organics, #StonyfieldBlogger, Organic Shopping on a Budget

As far as my health goals are concerned, I'm trying to stay on a regular workout routine.  I'll be honest, I love working out after I'm done--but I'll come up with any excuse to not make it to the Y. So I'm working on that for my big 3-1 year.

Did you set resolutions? How are they going so far?

Disclosure: I was compensated for this post as a #StonyfieldBlogger, but all opinions are my own! 

5 comments:

Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies said...

I have the mPerks app on my phone and every since I actively started using it (like, maybe a month ago? I'm behind the game) I've found a coupon for $1 off dairy, $x if you spend X on dairy, etc. It doesn't explicitly go towards organic milk, but I take the discount as an excuse to splurge and actually buy cow's milk. We're usually all about almond milk (but that's a tough one. It's cheaper at Target for us, but once you factor in my Target impulse buys, it's $30 cheaper at Meijer lol).

Elaine Bristol said...

Thank you for sharing your tips on organic shopping! I often compare nutrition and costs of organic foods with those that don't have the USDA organic label. I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts about the information about organic foods available at http://www.bestfoodfacts.org/abcs-of-food/o.

Halsted said...

I have found buying basic items in bulk help us save money and eat healthier - such as beans, whole grain flour, etc. It is important to store them properly so they last until you can use them up.

Unknown said...

I agree! I like to store flour, flax and brown rice in the freezer.

Unknown said...

SO true. I love mperks...especially the rewards! Target is my favorite place on earth! There is a great coupon out for Post cereal right now which you get a free gallon of milk when you buy 2 boxes, plus you get a coupon at checkout for a free gallon (any kind) of milk. I've been using that to save, plus stock up on shredded wheat and Grape Nuts.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS