Being Cheap is Easy: Let's Chat About: Grocery Store Markdowns

Let's Chat About: Grocery Store Markdowns

February 07, 2015

Markdown Foods, Grocery Markdowns

If you're going to be a bargain shopper, you HAVE to know about store markdowns.  I know many people stay away from them because they don't know how to use them or they are afraid the food is bad.  Well, being honest, sometimes the food can be bad.  You have to know what to look for!  Also, if the item is perishable, how to store it so it's worth the money you saved.

One of the best gifts we ever got was a large standing freezer for our basement.  We have a pretty tiny fridge and we were shopping all of the time because we couldn't store much.  After getting the freezer, we were able to save so much more money!  It's an investment, for sure, but there are many ways to find freezers under $300...even cheaper on Craigslist.  Note: if you do find one online, make sure it's a newer appliance (under 10 years) or you will be paying extra on your utility bills!

Before I purchase anything in a store, I check out the markdown areas.  At Meijer, they have a rolling markdown produce cart and one for discounted bakery items.  In the aisles, you can find markdown items labeled with large orange stickers--think dented cereal boxes, etc.  Always stay away from dented cans, but crushed boxes are usually okay, just give them a quick inspection.  

Other stores will use a grocery cart for produce markdowns and use aisle endcaps for clearance items. Target has amazing food clearance!  Remember, most items you can still use coupons on--so stock up if it's something you'll use.  If you are at your local store and don't see any markdowns, it never hurts to ask!

Markdown Meat, Saving on Meat, Budget Shopping

Meat markdowns save you the most money, but you have to know what to look for.  First of all, check the price per pound. Is it really a great deal?  For instance: my set chicken markdown price is always $0.89 or less per pound.  If I see markdown chicken thighs, but they're $1.19/lb, that's not a good deal for us because I know they frequently go on sale for $0.99...unless we really need them for dinner.  

Next, check for any discoloration.  If you see brown spots on ground turkey, put it back.  Also, if you can smell it, put it back.  GROSS.  Most stores are pretty good about not keeping bad meat, but some can be sneaky.  No bueno!

Look for higher priced items like steaks, roasts and whole chickens on markdown and always check if there are any coupons to use, also! I like to find Johnsonville sausages on price cuts since there are always coupons. 

Most important: you must use or freeze the meat the day you buy it.  I usually set up a cutting board and baggies when I get home and portion out any meat when I get home from the store.  Don't forget to LABEL it with a date and what it is!  Nothing is worse than a funky block of frozen mystery meat!  Experiment with different marinades before freezing, too.  

Recipes I love for markdown meat:
Don't fear produce markdowns! Unless you see mold, it's a great way to save.  I love brown bananas for bread and to freeze for smoothies--just remember to always peel them before freezing them.  

What to look for: Peppers, zucchini, apples, strawberries, potatoes, onions and oranges. Broccoli and cauliflower are hit or miss, be sure to look for mold.  Pre-packaged items can be marked down too: salad mix, mushrooms, pea pods, shredded carrots and more.  With salad mix, if you can't use it that day, pass.  Spinach and kale can be frozen for smoothies or stir-fry.

Budget Shopping, Dairy markdowns, Grocery Markdowns
Dairy markdowns can be hit or miss.  I know many people say it's okay to freeze milk, but I just don't bother--it takes up too much space and seems a bit funky to me.  One milk I DO freeze is buttermilk.  If I find it on price cut, I pour it in ice cube trays for waffles or marinades.  Yogurt is a no-brainer for us because we fly through it every day.  

Random items you may find on markdown:
  • Wine! After Christmas, many holiday box sets are cheap too! If you're in Grand Rapids, Russo's has great beer markdowns, usually $3.99 for a 6-pack.
  • Nuts.  Especially now, after holiday baking seasons, large packages of nuts go on sale.  I found pecans, cashews and almonds for 70% off--just be sure to freeze them or the oils will make them rancid.
  • Bakery leftovers. Each time I visit Walmart, I get 2-3 loaves of day old bread.  It makes the best garlic bread, bread crumbs and the Everything style is perfect for appetizers.
Don't forget about the Aunt Millie's thrift store! We buy our sandwich bread, buns, bagels and pitas there for a fraction of grocery store prices. 

What items do YOU buy on markdown? What's the craziest item you have found?

Side note: If you're playing a drinking game, I said "markdown" over 20 times. Shots! Haha. 

5 comments:

Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies said...

I didn't know that yogurt freezes well -- that's pretty amazing to know! I go a little yogurt-crazy when I see it on sale. Last summer, I found strawberries for 10 cents a quart on the "oops we bought too much" cart at Meijer. They were perfectly ripe, not even a little mushy -- I think I bought 20 packages, no shame!

Unknown said...

I love when I get berries on there! Have you joined the Driscolls berry club yet? You can get coupons from taking quick surveys!

Yogurt doesn't have quite the same taste when defrosted to eat alone, but it's perfect for smoothies or to add for cooking. My girls don't seem to mind the taste, but I think it gets a bit watery.

Anonymous said...

I turn marked down apples into applesauce and freeze it. If pears are marked down as well, I throw some into the applesauce for a little change of pace.

Unknown said...

Great ideas!!!

Jenny said...

On red meat, the slight brown color is the transfer to myoglobin to metmyoglobin which is harmless and just shows that the sarcomeres (muscle fibers) are breaking down for tenderness much like a carcass that is hanging for 21 days past slaughter. It is safe and nutritious plus thrifty. I am a federal meat inspector for USDA FSIS.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS