Being Cheap is Easy: {Guest Post} Decorating on the Cheap: Bathroom Re-Vamp

{Guest Post} Decorating on the Cheap: Bathroom Re-Vamp

July 13, 2013

Today we have a guest post from Kate!  I love her decorating ideas and the green color she chose is great!  If you are interested in guest posting, send me an email or FB message! 


I love decorating my home.  O.K, I may be borderline obsessed with it.  But for me, it’s not about putting up appearances for others.  It’s about making our house comfortable, fun, and pleasing for our family.  We love home.  The problem is, we don’t exactly have piles of extra money lying around (if you do, hooray for you!)  So I have had to figure out ways to do this on the cheap.  For this article, I will show you how I redecorated my bathroom for around $100.

This bathroom had some very nice things going on to start with.  It just lacked a little oomph.  
bathroom remodel, bathroom decor

I found some fabric that I LOVED at Hobby Lobby, and that served as my inspiration piece (always a good way to start when re-doing a room).  I used a 40% off coupon (these are always available in the Sunday paper or can be printed online), so the fabric (which I was using for a new window treatment) was less than $5.  

I then picked up a make-your-own window shade kit at Meijer for about $6.  This was my first experience with making a shade, and it was pretty easy and turned out well.  
MYO Shade, Bathroom Window Shade, Bathroom Remodel

Next I picked out a wall color that I pulled from the colors in the fabric.  I decided the bright green would be nice with the white wainscot.  Do NOT skimp on your paint—it’s not worth it!  My personal favorite is the Behr Ultra (paint and primer in one).  It covers SO well!  It’s expensive, but it’s worth it.  My gallon of paint cost around $30.

Next up—something to go on the walls.  I found a pair of ugly brass mirrors for $2 each at goodwill and painted them in a bright cherry red.  
Bathroom Decor, DIY bathroom, Cheap Decor

I then found a small square mirror (also at a thrift store) for $1 and painted it yellow.  I also found some cute simple bird and tree silhouettes for 50 cents each (also thrift).  Finally, I found a super cute soap dish clearances out at Bed Bath & Beyond for $4 and I glued it in a frame I already had.  Tah-dah, it’s art!

For the mirror, I found a framed picture at Hobby Lobby and replaced the picture with a mirror.  The frame was about $10 and the mirror cost about $5.  
Hobby Lobby Decor, Bathroom Decor

I already had the storage cabinet, but found some cute knobs at Hobby Lobby to dress it up for $2 each.  I purchased a Closetmaid storage shelf for around $20 and found some cute fabric storage bins for around $5 each.  This is a great way to add color and hide the things nobody needs to see!
Bathroom Decor, Budget Remodel

Breakdown:
Window treatment- $11
Paint- $30
Wall décor- $10
Mirror- $15
Knobs- $4
Storage shelves- $20
Fabric bins- $15

So there you have it—a room makeover for around $100!  Happy decorating!

3 comments:

Mrs. Weber said...

I LOVE THIS! Nice job, Kate :) Love all the colors.

Plumbing Toronto Plumbers said...

Your article was well written and your bathroom looks great! Thanks for a great read.

Unknown said...

your post is well written & your bathroom paiting great!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS