Being Cheap is Easy: Slow Cooker Southwest White Chicken Chili

Slow Cooker Southwest White Chicken Chili

July 30, 2013



Sometimes, you magically come up with a great recipe by mistake.  Don't you love when that happens? Since I've been trying to only do one big shopping trip a month, by the end of month we are at the end of our freezer and pantry supply...which is perfect and hard at the same time!  It forces you to be creative!

One day, I was craving white chicken chili, but we were out of chicken breasts.  I did happen to have some ground chicken in the freezer.  Voila! This recipe was born!

I have this amazing new Ninja cooking system (another swag item from BlogHer!) which is an oven, slow cooker AND a stove-top in one.  I KNOW!  It seems too good to be true, but I am in LOVE! I can even steam and make CUPCAKES in this thing.  It is so fun to play with!

I was able to saute the ground chicken first with some onion, then I just started cleaning out the pantry: beans, chicken stock, tomatoes, green chilis and a packet of White Chicken Chili seasoning. At first, I wanted to add sour cream, but we were out.  Alas, I used plain yogurt (Greek would be even better!).  I had some fresh corn I added during the last 20 minutes of cooking, but canned or frozen would work too!

This chili has a mild heat that is  perfect to load up with toppings: especially lime, avocado and some cilantro.

Yes, I do realize it's summer still...but I love soup!  Served with a salad, this is still the perfect dinner to beat the heat!  And it's quite healthy!


Ingredients

  • 1.25 lbs of ground chicken (lean) or 93% ground turkey
  • 1 can of Great Northern Beans, 1 can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt (regular or Greek)
  • 1 can (5 oz) chopped green chiles
  • 1/2 cup onion, diced
  • 1 cup fresh, frozen or canned corn 
  • 1 cup reduced sodium chicken stock
  • 1 packet McCormick White Chicken Chili mix
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained (the ones with chilis add heat!)
  • Optional: Perfect Pinch fiesta citrus seasoning
  • Topping suggestions: green onions, jalapenos, cilantro, Mexican blend cheese, avocado, tortilla chips, lime
Let's (Slow) Cook!
  1. Cook the ground chicken with the onions before adding to the slow cooker, season with the Fiesta Citrus seasoning, if you want!
  2. Add everything else to the slow cooker, except toppings.
  3. Cook:
    • High: 3-4 hours
    • Low: 6-7 hours
  4. Top with whatever you want and enjoy!  If it seems thin, mash the beans up a bit.  It's great with another dollop of yogurt!
What are your favorite toppers for chili?


9 comments:

Greta @gfunkified said...

Oh my gosh, this sounds delicious! And what an awesome new toy you got with the ninja!!

Candy said...

Omg I've never made white chili!! I've got to save this for the fall/winter! :)

Unknown said...

I know! BlogHer Food was good to me, not gonna lie. I had fun too! We also have the Ninja blender and it makes margaritas in 20 seconds...and smoothies, of course.

Unknown said...

Most people use shredded chicken, but I find the ground chicken much easier! I love any kind of chili, but it's nice to switch up those comfort food recipes in the cooler months!

Tiffany said...

I'm usually not one for soups in the summer but this looks and sounds awesome (I adore my crockpot). I really need to look into this ninja, it sounds lifechanging!

Unknown said...

It is really worth the money! It's still pretty new, so I see a lot of specials for it. This week I want to try to make muffins in it. I've had quite a few slow cookers and this one is so unique!

Lauren Weber said...

Dude! I missed this! I think I have all the ingredients...May make this today! Thanks, girl :)

Anonymous said...

About how many servings does this make? Thanks!

Unknown said...

I would say 6-8 large bowls. It feeds my family of 5, plus leftovers!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS