Being Cheap is Easy: Saving money on at-home workouts

Saving money on at-home workouts

January 05, 2012

Since it is a new year, I do have some goals.  The major thing I would like to do is to try to fit in more workouts into my week.  My goal is to try to workout 4 times a week.  With the 3 little ones, it really isn't logical to join a gym (or quite in our budget), so we do workouts at home.  Ricky is super into fitness, so he does P90X and all of that hardcore junk.  If you know me, that is a bit above my level of...um...athleticism.  I was the girl who tried every sport, but I am a bit too clumsy and uncoordinated.  Hey, at least I tried!

I got a Wii Fit last fall on Craigslist and I love it.  If you are considering one, definitely check there first...there are a ton posted!  I got mine for $30 and it was practically brand new, only used twice.  The Wii fit is great for the weigh-ins and simple workouts, but I want to step it up a bit.  Instead of buying a bunch of DVDs and wasting money, I make sure to check them out from the library and try them first.  I am so glad I went this route because there are a ton of really, REALLY bad DVDs out there!  Plus, it is nice to have a variety in workouts.

Here are some of my favorites right now (I'm going on a Biggest Loser trainer kick):
  • Bob Harper's Inside Out Method DVDs
    • These are very hard at first, but so worth it.  After you will feel great (and sore).  Plus you don't need a bunch of extra equipment.  There are 2 workouts on each DVD, the first is 60 minutes (very tough!) and the other is 20 minutes. 
    • My favorite:


  •  Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30
    • This is nice because its only 30 minutes and it is intense.  


There are some great fitness deals this week because of the New Year.  In the coming weeks, look for specials and coupons on healthier food also.
  • Aldi has a 3-piece kettleball set for $24.  This price is amazing and they are very nicely made!  They also have fitness balls for $6. 
  • Barnes & Noble has a special on most DVDs, Buy 2/Get 1 Free. There is free shipping over $25, too.  You don't need a code, just add 3 to your cart.  You may even be able to pick them up in your store, if they are in stock.  If you want to own your own DVDs, I would look here or on Amazon.
  • Meijer has some great prices on DVDs and weights.  Also, Special K and other healthier items are marked down.
I have found that most DVDs require small hand weights or a kettleball.  Whenever they ask you to use a mat, I either use Ricky's or just a towel.  You can get a great workout in the comfort of your home for very cheap!  You can pick up hand weights and have your own home gym for under $20. 

Wish me luck on my progress...I'll try to keep you updated! 

How do you find time to get your workouts in?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS