Being Cheap is Easy: Simple Suppers: Turkey Cheeseburger Casserole

Simple Suppers: Turkey Cheeseburger Casserole

November 20, 2014

Cheeseburger, casserole, comfort food, Jennie-O turkey, McDonalds Cheeseburger

Don't get me wrong, I love cooking.  But I've been SO uninspired in the kitchen for dinners lately. Maybe it's because we have had quite a few bouts of flu going around our house.  Or because I spend most of my days creating fun recipes for my job.  Some nights, by the time 5:00 hits, I'm just staring at the fridge, hoping for a cooked meal to pop out at me.  I wish! Can't I have a magical twitch to my nose like Samantha on Bewitched?!

Last night, I had ground turkey but no ideas what to do with it.  I wanted a burger, but it was still partially frozen.  I remembered seeing something on Rachael Ray once about a cheeseburger casserole and I just went with it.  

The verdict? EVERYONE loved it.  It tastes just like McDonald's double cheeseburgers. We don't do much McD's, but those double cheeseburgers are hard to resist...especially after a nasty post-wedding hangover! (We had quite a few weddings this summer...I learned the hard way)

Served with some of our favorite tots and green beans, this was a tasty meal that hit the table in about 30 minutes! 
Cheeseburger, Simple Dinners, Casseroles, Ground Turkey, Jennie-O

Turkey Cheeseburger Casserole

Here's what you need:
  • 1 package of Jennie-O lean ground turkey (about 1.25 lbs)
  • 2 cups of elbow noodles, cooked al dente (about 5-6 minutes)
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup relish
  • 2 pickle spears, chopped (more or less to taste)
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 
  • 1/4 teaspoon each- onion & garlic powder
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese 
  • Optional: chopped bacon (I put it on half of ours)

  1. Preheat oven to 400. 
  2. In a large pan, brown ground turkey for 4-5 minutes.  Add onions, mustard, Worcestershire, onion and garlic powder.  Brown until turkey is completely cooked. Do not drain.
  3. Add pickles, relish, tomatoes, tomato paste. Once thoroughly heated, slowly pour in noodles. Stir.
  4. Pour into casserole dish and top with cheese (and optional bacon).  Bake 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and drool-worthy.
    Casseroles, Simple Suppers, Jennie-O Turkey, Cheeseburger
     
What's your go-to meal when you're in a cooking rut?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS